• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight feathers on one wing too short

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
There does appear to be problems with the primary flights on both wings. While there's a chance both wings have had similar injuries this is actually looking like a blood supply problem.
Has the vet actually made a diagnosis yet?

aDORYble

Strolling the yard
There does appear to be problems with the primary flights on both wings. While there's a chance both wings have had similar injuries this is actually looking like a blood supply problem.
She was telling me it seems trauma related? But I don’t know if that counts as a diagnosis to his wing problem, but she did say he has arthritis.

aDORYble

Strolling the yard
oh, where can I see that in the scan by the way? If it’s too hard to explain how to read it no worries! I’m more curious than anything.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
oh, where can I see that in the scan by the way? If it’s too hard to explain how to read it no worries! I’m more curious than anything.
I can see from the photo of his back there are at least 2 primaries missing from his other wing. This is confirmed by the 3rd xray not showing any shadows where the feathers should be.
What's his diet like? Protein is essential for both feather and muscle growth. If his diet is good then it has to be follicle damage as your vet has noticed.
I don't think imping is an option in this case as there's nothing to bond the feathers to.

Last edited:

aDORYble

Strolling the yard
I can see from the photo of his back there are at least 2 primaries missing from his other wing. This is confirmed by the 3rd xray not showing any shadows where the feathers should be.
What's his diet like? Protein is essential for both feather and muscle growth. If his diet is good then it has to be follicle damage as your vet has noticed.
I don't think imping is an option in this case as there's nothing to bond the feathers to.
ooooh! He eats a mix of seed and zupreme naturals pellets. Won’t touch veg but the vet urged me to try again - just adding them to their bowls or eating it in front of them so they’ll recognize it as food.
She also suggested I might want to try a different type of pellet called Harrison’s? I’m a little afraid to get something so expensive that they might not even like though. At this point in Covid (and with 1/4 the designated bird savings tapped into) I’m having a bit of a rough time financially.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm sure Harrison's is one of the companies that would send you free samples. I'm also sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
My flock is favouring the Zupreem Naturals right now. The only thing that counts against them is the sugar. They contain protein so that shouldn't be an issue.

aDORYble

Strolling the yard
So I’m a bit of a dummy :T I should have scheduled a follow up sooner but I only thought to do it today and they won’t be able to see him until next week.

I have a few more days of the trial medication left for the arthritis- how do I know if it’s working? Maybe he moves a little faster (but maybe I’m just staring at him too long and imagining it’s but I can’t tell if it’s doing much of anything at all?