• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight feathers growing in!

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
E581D259-FE9A-443A-B5F3-9C2702DEF7D8.jpeg FB270A5A-08A1-4A6E-A882-8AF5DD52F542-1.jpeg

The breeder gave him a light clip before he came to us. Pepe is a pretty good flyer even with clipped wings. I am excited for his new flight feathers as he loves flying, and to be honest I am a little nervous! My budgie flew away and he was fully flighted but I know that the reason for him flying away was not directly caused by his flight ability. He has molted out four clipped flight feathers so far. He loves flying so it makes me happy.
I do have a question though. I will be going on vacation this summer for about 4-5 weeks, and he will be staying with a family member in my house. He is in the living room because that is the best place to put his cage, but there is a lot of doors that people are often coming in and out of. I always have to make sure the doors are closed when he is out. Is there anything I can do to ensure he will not accidentally get out while I am gone? not all of my family is as careful as I am about doors/windows etc.

Some more cute photos
B7C2C4FA-F6BE-4558-9F01-2E26F9F58DC7.jpeg 8DE2073C-40E7-4D1A-ADE3-9EFA5027C61A.jpeg

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Yay!! You will probably need to make adjustments to your home and inform the people in your home about the importance of closed doors. If you're still concerned, you can move him to a different room and make sure he's safe. Better safe than sorry.

jeristory

Checking out the neighborhood
View attachment 383637 View attachment 383638

The breeder gave him a light clip before he came to us. Pepe is a pretty good flyer even with clipped wings. I am excited for his new flight feathers as he loves flying, and to be honest I am a little nervous! My budgie flew away and he was fully flighted but I know that the reason for him flying away was not directly caused by his flight ability. He has molted out four clipped flight feathers so far. He loves flying so it makes me happy.
I do have a question though. I will be going on vacation this summer for about 4-5 weeks, and he will be staying with a family member in my house. He is in the living room because that is the best place to put his cage, but there is a lot of doors that people are often coming in and out of. I always have to make sure the doors are closed when he is out. Is there anything I can do to ensure he will not accidentally get out while I am gone? not all of my family is as careful as I am about doors/windows etc.

Some more cute photos io games
View attachment 383639 View attachment 383641
What a crazy cute bird!

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
He is gorgeous!

I would put signs on all doors, reminding people to keep them closed. Does the living room have a door? If not, I'd probably move him into a room with a door, just for the time when you are gone.