• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight cages

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Does anyone know of any good flight cages that would be suitable for an Indian ringneck.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You need a 80x60cm cage, max 1.9cm bar spacing

Have you looked on Scarletts parrot essentials or Northern parrot?

I will edit some links in, my computer is going a little slow RN.

Edit to add links;

Last edited:

Mantis64

You need a 80x60cm cage, max 1.9cm bar spacing

Have you looked on Scarletts parrot essentials or Northern parrot?

I will edit some links in, my computer is going a little slow RN.

Edit to add links;
I'm guess this means that flight cages are just for smaller birds like budgies and cockateils.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A flight cage is basically a spacious cage where the bird can flap wings freely and sometimes short flights between perches. Obviously they can´t truly fly in there - that would be an aviary.

What cage do you have at the moment?

Mantis64

The rainforest Santa Monica cage it's not that big which is why I want to upgrade but he spends most of his day out of the cage because I dont like him being in there for more then a few hours without coming out. I do plan on completing bird proofing the room and allowing him to be free all day.
You know the walls are covered with wall paper in the bird room but the ceiling is painted with this create a problem if I was to hang nets and boings could it be harmful to my bird. If so what could I do.

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You will have to be careful with bar spacing. Unfortunately, many cages that are large enough are intended for much larger birds than your IRN. Cage manufacturers seem to think that birds just sit there and don't need space to stectch and play.

I found it difficult to find a cage that I thought was sufficiently large but which has small enough bar spacing. There just isn't as much choice in the UK as there is in the US when it comes to flight cages - we don't have A&E or Prevue cages imported. I would highly recommend talking to Rosemead Aviaries about getting a custom cage made. Mine is 100x80cm.

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please remember that not everyone is in the US. We simply don't have the same range of manufacturers here.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

It is a bit too small. I don't know if there is a larger version available...

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah

This is the one I have for my IRN. As stated above bar spacing is a nightmare when looking for cages for IRN as most aimed at bigger birds, but this one aimed at smaller birds so works well. No idea if can fly in it though as my boy is disabled.

Attachments

Mantis64

Should I be worried about the ceiling being painted if I was to hang boings and nets.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
You know the walls are covered with wall paper in the bird room but the ceiling is painted with this create a problem if I was to hang nets and boings could it be harmful to my bird. If so what could I do.
From my understanding with wallpaper and paint it needs to be impossible for them to chew and swallow it and lead free. From my limited experience birds don't chew walls unless it textured or flaking anyway as long as plenty of toys to play with.

Mantis64

From my understanding with wallpaper and paint it needs to be impossible for them to chew and swallow it and lead free. From my limited experience birds don't chew walls unless it textured or flaking anyway as long as plenty of toys to play with.
My bird chews the wallpaper okay I'm covering it now.

Mantis64

Does wallpaper contain lead, I dont let my bird chew it and he doesnt swallow it he spits it out after. Should I be worried.