• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight Cage in the Large kitchen area

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Hi All!
I am doing research on parrotlets. If and when I decide on a new baby, I will purchase a flight cage. I have a very large and open kitchen area off of the living room. It is bright and airy. My question is: would it be acceptable to set up the flight cage in the far end of the kitchen? I live alone and I don't cook large meals. I only have stainless steel cookware. I never use candles etc. I like the kitchen area because, I seem to be in there the most. I want the baby to assist in meal prep, like his chop! I want him to be part of the experience.

Any feedback would be appreciated! I am taking months before deciding on a new feathered baby!:)

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Hi All!
I am doing research on parrotlets. If and when I decide on a new baby, I will purchase a flight cage. I have a very large and open kitchen area off of the living room. It is bright and airy. My question is: would it be acceptable to set up the flight cage in the far end of the kitchen? I live alone and I don't cook large meals. I only have stainless steel cookware. I never use candles etc. I like the kitchen area because, I seem to be in there the most. I want the baby to assist in meal prep, like his chop! I want him to be part of the experience.

Any feedback would be appreciated! I am taking months before deciding on a new feathered baby!:)
I would recommend you don't put it in the kitchen, accidents can always happen and if your feathered friend flies into the flame, that's trouble waiting to happen.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
I would recommend you don't put it in the kitchen, accidents can always happen and if your feathered friend flies into the flame, that's trouble waiting to happen.
Thanks for the input! Great idea...I thought so!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I roll the cages into the kitchen with me when I am home. If I’m going to cook on the stovetop, I simply move them out of the kitchen. When I’m working on my computer at the kitchen table, I like to have them with me. Plus, I can get up every now and then for a short training session and then get right back to work!

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Yes...that was what I planned on doing, as the kitchen is large and the living room is right off of it. I just want the baby to feel a part of the home and not in a separate bedroom. I like the idea of the flat top of the cage for meals and training also. I do plan on getting a play gym for choices of areas.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Actually, my p'lets cage is in the kitchen! My kitchen is also very large, with two doorless entryways to it, and the living room is right off it... so it's a very similar situation to yours! I keep here there on a counter because that's the only place the cat can't reach. Whenever we cook something though, Pistache is moved to her other cage in my room or she just sits with me somewhere else. I think you could do that.

Also, I recommend parrotlets 110%! But remember that they are very sassy, and they are quite bitey in the beginning!

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Actually, my p'lets cage is in the kitchen! My kitchen is also very large, with two doorless entryways to it, and the living room is right off it... so it's a very similar situation to yours! I keep here there on a counter because that's the only place the cat can't reach. Whenever we cook something though, Pistache is moved to her other cage in my room or she just sits with me somewhere else. I think you could do that.

Also, I recommend parrotlets 110%! But remember that they are very sassy, and they are quite bitey in the beginning!
Oh thank you for the information. I just was informed that the baby parrotlets are very young and still being hand-fed. The baby won't be ready until 6-8 more weeks. They are blue...which I wanted. I also want a male. Yes...I have read that a parrotlet is a big parrot in a small body! I also checked into avian (pet insurance) today.

Gigibirds

Well Joanne I hope you can get a parrotlet! They have such a great personality, even though they can be rather annoying sometimes. For example, Pistache is trying to bite off my fingers right now because I am using 'her' keyboard! Also, you do have other bird(s), right? Like the parakeet in your picture? Even though the kitchen is a great place, I'm just wondering why you wouldn't keep the p'let by your other bird(s)? But best of luck to you, and I hope that you can get a parrotlet! They are so great :)

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hi All!

I'm happy to see that you're beginning to think about a bird again and taking your time with it! :) :hug6:Your plans sure sound good too!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
A wheeled cage means you can move them about. I don't think there is a problem having them in the kitchen when you are spending time in there.

I will agree with everyone else that a bird should NOT be out when you are cooking, and rolling your bird out of the room for cooking is probably best. I also caution allowing your bird to help make chop. They can watch you chop things, but birds like to get involved in everything and could easily get cut by a knife from their own doing, running/flying/ hopping into it. Birds are accident prone in the kitchen and you must set up some boundaries.

That said I am super pleased you are wanting a flight cage. In my view that is the only way for parrotlets. They are small enough birds that we can easily give them enough space to fly! :D :)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies can definitely smell the kitchen from where they are & they're okay.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
A wheeled cage means you can move them about. I don't think there is a problem having them in the kitchen when you are spending time in there.

I will agree with everyone else that a bird should NOT be out when you are cooking, and rolling your bird out of the room for cooking is probably best. I also caution allowing your bird to help make chop. They can watch you chop things, but birds like to get involved in everything and could easily get cut by a knife from their own doing, running/flying/ hopping into it. Birds are accident prone in the kitchen and you must set up some boundaries.

That said I am super pleased you are wanting a flight cage. In my view that is the only way for parrotlets. They are small enough birds that we can easily give them enough space to fly! :D :)
I loved this super advice. Thank you so much!

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Well Joanne I hope you can get a parrotlet! They have such a great personality, even though they can be rather annoying sometimes. For example, Pistache is trying to bite off my fingers right now because I am using 'her' keyboard! Also, you do have other bird(s), right? Like the parakeet in your picture? Even though the kitchen is a great place, I'm just wondering why you wouldn't keep the p'let by your other bird(s)? But best of luck to you, and I hope that you can get a parrotlet! They are so great :)
I don't have any other birds...my beloved budgie Blueberry passed away on 04/01/2021. I am still grieving that loss. That is why I am just researching another species of parrots. My budgies only lived around six years old. I thought I did everything right for a great life...however, they left me too soon. I always only kept a single bird to bond to me.

Gigibirds

Aww, I'm so sorry about Blueberry! You probably did do everything right, but some birds just have underlying conditions/bad genetics/etc. I got my first parrotlet when my parakeet died, too! I also got a single bird because I wanted it to be a friend. It's so hard to lose a bird, but working on bonding with another bird is usually a great way to help deal with the loss. I hope that you will feel better soon! :)

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Aww, I'm so sorry about Blueberry! You probably did do everything right, but some birds just have underlying conditions/bad genetics/etc. I got my first parrotlet when my parakeet died, too! I also got a single bird because I wanted it to be a friend. It's so hard to lose a bird, but working on bonding with another bird is usually a great way to help deal with the loss. I hope that you will feel better soon! :)
Thank you Gigibirds for your sweet words! It helps so much!