• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Flew into window, scratch in between nostrils (image attached)

crowary

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ben
Something freaked Rosie out and sent her flying, but instead of landing on top of her cage like usual she ended up crashing into the window. She has a small scratch right in between her nostrils, and was a little freaked out for a few moments after until I was able to get her back into the cage, but other than that seems to be fine. Of course I'm freaking out, and my vet is closed today but said they will take a look at a picture and see if she needs to go to the emergency vet just in case. I'd love to get some other people's opinions on how bad this could be, it seems like a very small wound but I'm concerned about additional damage from hitting the window so hard, she's crashed before but never like this.

This is the best picture I could get, she moves around a lot and my hands are very shaky in general but especially after a scare like this.

1651350238146.png

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
The scratch looks pretty superficial to me. Just keep an eye on her, make sure she stays warm, and make sure that she's eating/drinking/pooping as per normal.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Looks like it could be open to infection. If this was my bird a vet would be treating it. Could also be painful. Can you email photo your vet to be sure?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Is it still bleeding? If so corn starch press firmly to the spot for 10 seconds or more. Watch for signs infection; redness, swelling, pus draining. If any the fore mention starts time to see the vet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds have had a couple of scratches like that in the past, and they healed up on their own quickly. As others have mentioned, make sure it doesn’t start to look infected, and watch for any signs of a concussion, dizziness, lethargy, etc.

crowary

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ben
Looks like it could be open to infection. If this was my bird a vet would be treating it. Could also be painful. Can you email photo your vet to be sure?
I did! The vet said that it looks like just a surface level abrasion and it should heal quickly, and I'm going to keep an eye on it to make sure it's not getting any worse. There was no bleeding and she went right back to normal without showing signs of pain, so hopefully it'll be fine.