• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fledgling Mousebird

torihanekom

Moving in
Real Name
Tori Hanekom
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I’ve read a very old thread “baby mouse bird needs help” which lead me to creating an account.
My husband and I found a baby mouse bird. It was storming bad here in Johannesburg last night. We waited around to see if any parents showed up. None. So now here I am, a huge bird enthusiast/watcher with a baby muisvoel.
I’m planning on going out to get some baby food (fruit) later today, but in the mean time I am feeding it blended banana with some electrolyte replenisher. Is a small baby syringe acceptable as a method of giving it the food or should I use something else?
I would LOVE to keep it as a pet, but I’m only here in South Africa until my husbands green card to America is ready, which could be very soon. (Months-wise)
If I were to release it back into the wild ( :( ) what should I do?
If I were to keep it as a pet, how could I bring it to America with me? I’m willingly to stay in South Africa longer if need be, I’ve been here for a year and a half now.

Will be posting more questions and pictures soon. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and reply!

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Are there local wildlife rehabs you might be able to contact? They might have a place for a bird, sometimes they can help with releasing them or give you some advice, or if it's too tame they might also have a program of outreach. Depends a lot but they might be able to help!

torihanekom

Moving in
Real Name
Tori Hanekom
I have a number I found in the post I mentioned earlier. I have yet to call, have to wait for my husband to come home for the phone. I have no clue how close the man is though. I have a nice set up in the meantime for the baby, in a nest, in a bird cage. It’s very responsive and eats off of my fingers ❤ I’m going to weigh it and take pictures in a few minutes.

torihanekom

Moving in
Real Name
Tori Hanekom
It’s very attached to my hand...it hops right to it the second I put my hand in the cage. It eats pieces of banana from my finger, no longer going to use the syringe. I’m chopping up mealworm and mixing it with the banana as it shakes the mealworm pieces away or spits it out whenever I offer it.
F029CB8C-693C-4EDD-A029-97301A2FFCA6.jpeg F33B7D1C-9348-4671-8232-6A90CE207452.jpeg 53795025-0A5B-4890-999B-F1C0658749DE.jpeg 469B528F-240D-4C7B-B22D-D77132FA7B93.jpeg E4172135-150B-41A7-A623-D2534FBFD323.jpeg

torihanekom

Moving in
Real Name
Tori Hanekom
Update! I’ve spoken to Soulie, of a rehabilitation center and learned no insects whatsoever, that explains why he didn’t want to eat it and also that we will be scheduling a meet up eventually where he can pick him up from me ❤ So I will be caring for the little one as is until that time! Hoping and praying he makes it through!

snada

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Hi I am in Durban and part of a wildlife rehabilitation center here. Has Soulie advised you on what you should be feeding the Mousebird? If you need any info on how to care for him until you can drop him off you can call or whatsapp me for any info you need. :) 0728010606

torihanekom

Moving in
Real Name
Tori Hanekom
Snada, yes he has! Thank you so much for reaching out to me! So I’m going out to get some Purity and AVI handrearing phase two today. Our little Bokkie is around 19 days ❤ He told me to keep doing what I’m doing until our meet. Here’s a pic of Bokkie this morning
0A987F85-3C78-42AB-86CE-8C47F0BA92A6.jpeg

torihanekom

Moving in
Real Name
Tori Hanekom
It’s been a while! Bokkie is doing great, getting huge, and we are super attached to eachother. Looking back at my previous comments I feel so novice as to what I am now :roflmao: mealworms are a total NO GO, don’t believe everything on the internet lol. Bokkie is in love with fruit and only gets AVI handrearing finishers as a treat sometimes now. He loves exploring and watching everything my husband and I do. I have two separate cages for him. A big one that I hang in a nice tree for his daily outing time. And a smaller one, covered in newspaper (for the butt rockets) for his sleeping cage, although he stays in the larger cage most of the time anyway. A1374500-770A-4A46-A06A-79B576DEA907.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic update! Look at him!! Sooo cute!!!
You did wonderfully Tori and I´m so happy for you all :)

torihanekom

Moving in
Real Name
Tori Hanekom
Fantastic update! Look at him!! Sooo cute!!!
You did wonderfully Tori and I´m so happy for you all :)
Thank you!! Although I would still love to take him to the States with me, it’s looking less and less possible by the day. It’s going to be so heartbreaking. :sad7: The man I’ve been in contact with at the rehab told me to keep doing what I’m doing when I first got him and we would schedule a meet sometime, but now it’s been a couple months and Im just expected to drop this little guy i love so much now? I can’t imagine life without him at this point. I’ve done so much research and can’t find an answer if it would be possible or not. Hes so domesticated and reliant/attached on me.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
. I’ve done so much research and can’t find an answer if it would be possible or not.
That´s really sad :(

Maybe try finding an airline that accepts birds, and a flight that would suite, then call directly to the border control and ask? If you have to take two flights , then you would have to ask all of those airports involved.
I don´t know how possible it would be as this is a wild bird. Is there a vet there that can document this bird as your pet?
Sorry I don´t have any answers, I´m just thinking of ideas. Maybe a new thread here could help?

torihanekom

Moving in
Real Name
Tori Hanekom
That´s really sad :(

Maybe try finding an airline that accepts birds, and a flight that would suite, then call directly to the border control and ask? If you have to take two flights , then you would have to ask all of those airports involved.
I don´t know how possible it would be as this is a wild bird. Is there a vet there that can document this bird as your pet?
Sorry I don´t have any answers, I´m just thinking of ideas. Maybe a new thread here could help?
I was thinking all all of that well, just unsure of myself. I’ll look around for a vet for documentation’s for sure. Mousebirds are typically thought of as pests here in SA, so thankfully not protected.
We will be taking a direct flight as well. Thank you for replying, it does give me some hope :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We will be taking a direct flight as well.
Definitely call the relative departments in both airports directly. Request written confirmation of what they say via email.