• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fleas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I have a nest of baby budgies I picked up the youngest and its infested with fleas!! is thier a way to kill them?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had a rescue pigeon here with lice and I dusted him with Seven dust at the vets advice, dont know if you would use that on your babies though. Good luck.:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Do You have another nest box that You can use? I would pick each and every one off the babies and drown them in soapy water.Then put the babies in a clean nest box.Good luck-if it is fleas-they can kill the babies really fast.

Here is some info I found for You-I hope it helps:hug8:
My baby budgie has mites or fleas? - Yahoo! Answers

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Do You have another nest box that You can use? I would pick each and every one off the babies and drown them in soapy water.Then put the babies in a clean nest box.Good luck-if it is fleas-they can kill the babies really fast.

Here is some info I found for You-I hope it helps:hug8:
My baby budgie has mites or fleas? - Yahoo! Answers
I have mite spray I checked over the other babies it's just the smallest so I lightly sprayed it and the fleas slowed down just enough so I could pluck them off and squish them and I did switch boxes now I gotta clean the box and do the same thing to the other nest. And switch them boxes out just incase. Poor little baby being eaten by fleas that don't fly by me exspecially to my baby Ino chick.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
sevin dust will kill them, dont know if you can use them on a baby that small though...

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I always thought a bird can't get fleas :confused:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
A birds body is too hot to attract fleas....so most likely you are having a problem with red mites....which suck blood, and if the babies are real young they can drain the blood and they get weak and die.

In the US we can get Sevin Dust 5%, in a gardening supply. A cotton ball is dipped in the dust and used to blot all over the babies body, especially under the wings and along the legs where the main arteries are. If you can not find Seven Dust you can use a Chrysanthimum (sp) flower and crush it in your hand and spread the smell and whatever comnes from the flower all over the body of the bird. Change out the inside of the nestbox and smear the flower all over the inside of the box and put petals in the bedding.

brdfvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
probably mites or lice and not fleas. I'd suggest diatomaceous earth. Love the stuff!

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
probably mites or lice and not fleas. I'd suggest diatomaceous earth. Love the stuff!
Where do I get that? And they were black they looked identical to fleas I don't get why only one chick would have them. But. I killed them off it. For now.

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Seven dust can be bought at Wal-Mart in the garden center.Diatomaceous earth is used for swimming pool filters and can be bought at Pool supply stores.
I'm glad You got the little one cleaned Up-and the box! I pray there will be no more problems

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
This DE is not the same thing as the DE used in swimming pool filters. Pool grade DE is Diatomaceous Earth produced for pool filters and it is treated with heat, causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume crystalline form. Pool grade DE should never be used for pest control. Swimming pool DE ranges from 60% to 70% free silica!
Perma Guard PGFG50 Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) 50 lb. Bag#

brdfvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
You can find diatomaceous earth at many places. I'm not sure where you're located, but Ace Hardware has it and also a feed store will probably be a good place to look.

brdfvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
Food Grade Organic Diatomaceous Earth | Chaar
This is the brand we sell where I work and I have heard nothing but good things about it. Make sure it's the food grade stuff if you want to put it in feeds I even take it myself when I have an upset stomach. My dog gets it too 3 times a week for parasite control.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I guess I'm gonna half to order me some of it so I never have this problem again. :)

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
This DE is not the same thing as the DE used in swimming pool filters. Pool grade DE is Diatomaceous Earth produced for pool filters and it is treated with heat, causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume crystalline form. Pool grade DE should never be used for pest control. Swimming pool DE ranges from 60% to 70% free silica!
Perma Guard PGFG50 Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) 50 lb. Bag#
Well Shame on ME:o:Sure glad BF was on the look out to prevent Me from giving out such BAD info!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
No shame on you Bonnie! I just learn about it when I had my farm in NH and my farm vet was the one who told me the difference at that time (I had a 150 chickens and used it in their nest on his advice)...people were being to use pools in their yards then....so when you mentioned it, I went back searching to make sure the information was still good!...You know how things change over the years!!!!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Find all this very interesting but never had to use these products ever as never come across any fleas. Having said that do not think they are sold in Britain under those names anyway. Would have to find the equivalent I suppose if it was ever necessary.
Found this with exchanging recipes for baking, gave it up in the end as could either not fine the ingredients for sale in Britain or did not understand even what was being talked about. Things like your shortening, turned out to be fat but we sold it under other names.
Since Britain has joined the EU lots of things have either had their names changed, or they were found to be not in line with other Countries in the E U and if not changed withdrawn completely. Think we call that progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.