• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flea spray around birds.

imnotgrandpa

Meeting neighbors
My dog is on a topical flea treatment but occasionally she will still track fleas in. I like to use the Tropiclean flea spray because it’s pretty natural, but it’s main ingredients are essential oils. Could the smell possibly be too strong and hurt my birds?

The essential oils are clove, lemongrass, cedar wood, cinnamon.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You will need to be extremely careful with essential oils and birds.
There is not a heap of information about which are ok and what amounts so basically anything you use I believe is a serious gamble. Something to keep in mind is that not all oils are equal and not all oils are even safe for people.
I no longer use essential oils at all..... I won’t ever trust a hazard like them around my bird.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally do not use it at all and my dog is clear of fleas, I am not a fan of any chemical to be honest.
When I had a flea issue with my dog (many years ago) I planted penny royal mint and used that dry in beds and collars, infused made into a spray to mist them and items with, fresh wrapped into collars, rubbed over their fur, chucked into their beds etc- got rid of the fleas and I honestly have not had an issue with them since.
That was so many years ago that my youngest dog (who turned 4 last week) has actually never even experienced fleas. God help me if she does.... I will have to find some more penny royal mint to grow and use as I have moved and no longer have any.
My dog and cats used to actually lay in the mint when ever they came home from being out and about on a walk, the fleas would jump off them faster than ever! The town we lived in at the time had a whole block (the one I lived in :eek:) that was infested thanks to one really over grown and run down hoarders property- our house ended up being the only one in the block whos pets, furniture and carpet did not have a flea problem.

Get the penny royal mint growing- It works better than any essential oil flea product I have ever tried in the past and it did not make any of my pets uncomfortable or unwell like most of the treatments do.

The treatment you mention may be ok depending on how close to your birds you use it, I am not familiar with it and I really set myself very fail safe standards to live by for my birds safety- I take no chances with him ever as I would never be able to live with myself if I harmed him even if it was accidentally...... The use of EO's is just something I read up on and decided I personally would never use around my house while my bird lives in it, just not worth the risk to me.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've just been to the Tropican websirlte to check it out,and their rep is far from polished. Their products are even making the dogs ill.
@Shezbug suggestion does work, I seen fleas jump right off a dogs coat after a quick rub-down and it makes sense as a preventative.
Please don't try the spray unless you're doing it outside and only letting the dog back into the bird area after a couple of days. Don't spray anything else. Dog fleas are dog fleas and they can't live long in soft furnishings or on humans, and they won't go near your birds. Natural prevention is the best way.
Or how about the spot-on treatment? More effective.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not really, a good long bath for dog will do the trick, and recommended shampoo. You can't get better than that.
I actually never bath my dogs.
It is not good for their skin and actually adds to the stink that so many people’s dogs have, causing them to need a bath and the cycle goes on.
Each to ones own but I am always amazed at how many people seem to think they need to wash their dog to fix a skin or smell issue that comes from stripping their essential and natural oils from their skin and coats.
My dogs have never ever smelled bad, have never ever had skin issues and as a matter of fact, every dog I had before learning this stuff I did wash.... every one of them smelt and had serious irritated skin issues needing regular vet care and special washes etc.
Food and leaving the natural oils to do their job makes a massive difference to all dogs health and wellbeing.
Washing dogs is a financial scam (as far as I am concerned) pushed at owners who don’t know better and it saddens me to think of all the dogs suffering because people think they need to strip all the natural protective oils and unbalance the PH of their dogs skin because we need to do for our pets what we do for our selves- it’s awful really.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Fleas suck, but I wouldn’t risk it.

When one of my two dogs came down with a bad infestation—from a dogsitter’s house—I combed them both religiously with a flea comb and repeatedly bathed the infested one.

I vacuumed my house every day to get the flea eggs and repeatedly washed all of my linens, clothes and couch covering.

People told me I would never get rid of them unless I flea bombed my house AND yard, but I got rid of them without doing either. I don’t have carpet, which probably helped.

Good luck.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The vets have the products you place just below the neck area. These should be safer than a spray.