• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flaxseed

emdh

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elizabeth
Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked so many times before but I searched and couldn't find a clear answer. I often add flaxseed plus chia seeds to the cooked mix (grains, veggies, beans etc) that I give my Grey, Senegal and Green Cheek in the morning.

Does flaxseed need to be ground before adding it to my cooked mix?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They will get more benefits from ground, but they don't absolutely have to be ground.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I dont know much about flax seed except it can encourage the formation of eggs in female birds so I never fed it.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I have found that my girls like the whole seed, so I give them a teaspoon a couple times a week.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lady Jane, I wonder if that's because flax seed is a phytoestrogen. If birds have the same sex hormones as humans, I can totally see this happening!

Momof3litt

I use whole flaxseed as an ingredient in my seed mix.

Here is a link to a brief but accurate synopsis about the types and quantities/potency of phytoestrogens in various foods.

Phytoestrogens

They are contained in most whole grains, nuts, fatty seeds, legumes, bean sprouts and clover. Given how many of these foods are highly recommended to and fed by parrot owners, I wouldn't worry too much about a small amount of flax seed (whether whole or ground).

Momof3litt

I dont know much about flax seed except it can encourage the formation of eggs in female birds so I never fed it.
I'd be interested to see a source for this if you have one. Most of the available research I'm seeing is about feeding flax to chickens to increase the Omega-3 content of their eggs. Please post if you've got something, there is such a dearth of good literature on parrot nutrition!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I read this several years ago so the source is not available. However if you look on the net under flax seed for birds you will find details. The seeds are known for increasing estrogen in humans. This may be true for birds also. Just do the research.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What I have read is that flaxseed can actually decrease the expression of ERα (Estrogen receptor alpha) in the ovaries in chickens. It can actually help balance estrogen in the body.

It can actually shift estrogen into less biologically active forms.

Because it is high in Omega 3s, it can help balance out a diet that may normally be high in Omega 6 fatty acids, which can help inflammation.

Lots of studies in humans about it helping reduce the risk or ovarian and breast cancers because of the protective effect the phytoestrogens have in the body.

Momof3litt

Lots of studies in humans about it helping reduce the risk or ovarian and breast cancers because of the protective effect the phytoestrogens have in the body.
Yep. Phytoestrogens can either act as estrogen mimics OR as anti-estrogens. It's highly dependent on the source and the type/structure of the estrogen in the food source. Other chemicals naturally present in the food may also have an effect.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess the upshot of all this conflicting information is everything in moderation!