• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flax Seed Oil in Water?

SD1030

Strolling the yard
So the vet recently told me that I should use flax seed oil as a supplement for arthritis in my cockatiel. She recommended that I put some flax seed oil on his food. But my cockatiel is very picky and won’t eat foods that are oily.

Is it safe to put some in his water dish every day? And how much? I obviously wash his water dish daily so no worries in terms of contamination. I just don’t want him to be taking too much.

Any thoughts?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What about flax seed meal (ground up flax seeds) on or in his food instead?

I would not put it in the water. Oil and water won't mix so it will sit on the top of the water, where it will likely get ON him instead of IN him. If he's picky it could also deter him from drinking.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
So I’ve been putting very little and the oil is basically forming a very very thin layer on top of the water. He’s been drinking it just fine.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Have to tried offering whole flax seed?

I just don’t want him to be taking too much.
How much did your vet recommend?

As Mizzely stated above, it's likely going to end up ON him instead of IN him where it's needed

On his beak, on his feathers. Does he ever bathe in his water dish?

You said he's drinking fine, but you don't really know how much he's ingesting.

Why bother asking for advice if you're going to ignore it and do what you want anyhow?

SD1030

Strolling the yard
Well I’ve only been doing it for 2 days. And I’m just wondering if I should continue or not. So yes, I’m asking for advice in order to see if I should continue or not. Whoever said anything about me ignoring it? This community is supposed to be supportive - Nichole.

The Vet didn’t specify how much.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
You should follow up with your vet then. Ask how much and get their recommendation if it's OK to put in water.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I personally would not want oil in the water. Things that stick to feathers, like oils, can cause excessive preening, which could lead to feather destructive behaviors over time.

You could also mix the oil into some pureed veggies (or baby food) and offer it that way as a treat. That way you know how much he is ingesting.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Mizzely's advice is sound for the reasons she gave. My bird gets Flax seed oil daily. mixed in her food. Flax seed oil is the most effective. Flax seeds ( whole) are not easily digestible and it takes a lot of ground flax seed to equal the oil.