• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Fixing Up Second-Hand Aviaries, Progress and Advice?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I've had several second hand aviaries for a few months now. I am ever so slowly fixing them up, I am looking for advice and also want to make a progress thread for anyone interested. I will be focusing on one at a time.
This is the first one. (All stuff has since been cleared out and I've done basic cleaning, disinfecting is still to come)
233FE5AE-9018-46DF-BB0A-7712C8182BA9.jpg A7BBE034-2AD1-4A0A-B3EA-1A70E1FDA121.jpg
The biggest issue I've run into right now is the rust. I've tossed up whether a fresh coat of paint will help or not? Any suggestions on dealing with that would be greatly appreciated!
These areas I plan to work around by: Everywhere marked by blue will be covered up (I most likely will be wrapping in sisal and replacing as needed, some areas will be blocked off by wood or something). The red area (the roof, on both halves of the enclosed part) I think I am going to create a "false roof" of sorts and just block off that whole area.
20220920_130201.jpg 20220920_130246.jpg

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know the rust would have to be removed first, but no idea of the best method. I wonder if it would just take hours of scrubbing with a stiff brush so as not to use a chemical rust remover?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The proper method is to remove the rust with a hand grinder and either a wire wheel or abrasive disk and then powder coat the metal.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
On an old cage - I've removed rust with a jeweler file and then coated with the bare metal with Rust-Oleum. Do you think Rust-Oleum safe? I don't use this cage with my birds but I've had it for a backup and I've always felt uncomfortable using it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
On an old cage - I've removed rust with a jeweler file and then coated with the bare metal with Rust-Oleum. Do you think Rust-Oleum safe? I don't use this cage with my birds but I've had it for a backup and I've always felt uncomfortable using it.
Any kind of "paint" is a soft coating that wears off and also can be chewed off. In a large aviary where the birds spend little/no time on any of the metal it may be fine. In a more confined space where the birds are forced to spend time on the metal and beak it then it's not safe.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Thanks everyone!
The proper method is to remove the rust with a hand grinder and either a wire wheel or abrasive disk and then powder coat the metal.
I'll see if I can get anyone willing to do the hand grinding (it took weeks for me to finally use a pressure washer, I dont think I am brave enough to use something like a grinder just yet :o:).
Powder coating is not an option, unfortunately, as these aviaries weight a ridiculous amount and are not being moved anywhere anytime soon.
How to I go about finding a suitable paint?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d be just as concerned about any paint used as I would be about the rust so I’d personally be inclined to just remove the rust, treat or cover with a suitable paint to hopefully slow down or halt its return and then strategically use wood to cover the areas as paint and rust is only a problem if the birds get to it or of course if the rust is deep enough to cause structural problems.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
treat or cover with a suitable paint
But what is a suitable paint? I know art paints, dont have the foggiest idea when it come to any other paint.
All the horizontal bars are going to be cover in some way as I am not going to have birds perching on metal.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Not sure how helpful or relevant this is- but regarding paint maybe look up sealing ponds/aquariums and reptile enclosures.
they tend to use particular pond safe paints that won’t offgass and hurt the fish/reptiles.
It’s been some years so I can’t remember all the names. I believe a big one in aus was called pond-tite or similar.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
But what is a suitable paint? I know art paints, dont have the foggiest idea when it come to any other paint.
All the horizontal bars are going to be cover in some way as I am not going to have birds perching on metal.
I have never needed to personally paint over rusted metal.
It looks like there are a heap of paints designed to deal with rust issues.
Most hits I got on Google were for car shops like supercheap auto and auto pro.

I found one particular product called XTROLL rust conquerer that you might want to look up. XTROLL Rust Conqueror - Rust Inhibitor & Sealer

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Since you are painting metal it has to be a metal paint like "Tremclad" rust paint. Once dry and fully cured it won't be any more or less toxic than any other paint. I've had the best long lasting results with that brand. A gloss finish will last a bit longer than a dull finish.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Any kind of "paint" is a soft coating that wears off and also can be chewed off. In a large aviary where the birds spend little/no time on any of the metal it may be fine. In a more confined space where the birds are forced to spend time on the metal and beak it then it's not safe.
Thanks. I bought it as a short term use cage for a back-up when cleaning their main cage. It wouldn't be anything for long-term use. Or I could use it to take them outside for an hour. It's too small to be used for a full time enclosure, but okay for small amounts of time for the budgies.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Real quick question is DAR pine ok to use in the aviaries? I have a couple pieces I got to use when I renovate Q's aviary (so I haven't used them yet), and it's actually a good size for me to cover things up with in these aviaries too. I can't find anything anywhere as to whether it's safe or not.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
DAR means “dressed all round”

It basically should be sanded smooth on all sides.

So if it’s non treated DAR pine you will be safe to use it.

I’d be searching and worrying more about if it’s treated or non treated.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
It's this one and says nothing about whether it's treated or not. I would think not because it's meant for indoor use?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would think it is fine. The treated stuff I am familiar with has a green or blue tint to it, looks like it has had a dye wash done to it.

You could always call Bunnings and double check that it is definitely not treated.

Jogging around the block
The outdoor treated wood will have green/blue tint, as it is a lot more treated than indoor wood, but I have gotten wood that looks that colour but is still lightly treated. I would go and ask them if it is treated or not

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB