• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Fixing Up Second-Hand Aviaries, Progress and Advice?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I tend to ask the people at Bunnings and if I do not feel they are as qualified to answer as they should be then I will visit an independent hardware and speak with the owner or manager to get an idea if I am looking at the right stuff.

As you are covering it so the paint cant be chipped off the only thing you really need to be concerned about is the paint being suitable for the material you are covering :)

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
So need opinions and thought on two things.
One, I am working on the "false roof" that'll cover up the areas that will be quite complicated to make my version of bird safe, but I can't decide whether it should just be mesh (means it'll be easy-ish to hang things from) or just wood (on that topic could I use ply wood as I dont think it would be easy to chew at that angle?).
Two, I need weather proof ways to cover the metal poles in the flight area of the aviary. I am worried if I use wood it'll mold if it gets too wet .

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
So I finally got some more supplies, with help I picked out a paint that should do the job. After the painting is done, dried and I've let it air out for a bit, I'll add and fix some things and it'll be done enough for me to move the quail in. I'll continue adding and fixing things but I wanted to get all the major things done before moving them.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
I am working on the "false roof" that'll cover up the areas that will be quite complicated to make my version of bird safe, but I can't decide whether it should just be mesh (means it'll be easy-ish to hang things from) or just wood
What about clear polycarbonate plastic roof panels?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
What about clear polycarbonate plastic roof panels?
That's an option I had not considered, I am really bad at making these kind of decisions lol

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
That's an option I had not considered, I am really bad at making these kind of decisions lol
It's always a good idea to throw the question out there and see if anyone has ideas different than yours.

For the second question, just throwing a random idea out there, could you seal the metal bars? Is the metal an unsafe metal for birds, and that is why you want to cover it?

Last edited:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
It's always a good idea to throw the question out there and see if anyone has ideas different than yours.
:yes3: My thinking at the moment is the wood and plastic would be slightly hard to hangs things from, not impossible though.

For the second question, just throwing a random idea out there, could you seal the metal bars? Is the metal an unsafe metal for birds, and that is why you want to cover it?
I dont know what the metal is, but more my concern is that it is slightly rusted. I can remove the rust and paint it like I have the sheltered part of the aviary, but I also don't really like the idea of birds perching on metal that can be freezing cold or very hot depending on the weather.
The bars in the sheltered part are getting covered by wood planks and sisal, but I dont think those will hold up in the flight where they'll be exposed to some rain.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I've done some painting now (yes it's a bit messy, but it's just to prevent/slow tthe return of the rust. It's also getting covered mostly)
20221110_131743.jpg
20221110_131736.jpg
How long do you think I should leave it to air before starting to cover it?

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
:yes3: My thinking at the moment is the wood and plastic would be slightly hard to hangs things from, not impossible though.

I dont know what the metal is, but more my concern is that it is slightly rusted. I can remove the rust and paint it like I have the sheltered part of the aviary, but I also don't really like the idea of birds perching on metal that can be freezing cold or very hot depending on the weather.
The bars in the sheltered part are getting covered by wood planks and sisal, but I dont think those will hold up in the flight where they'll be exposed to some rain.
The rust will continue to rust underneath paint. You need to remove the rust first before painting, if you choose to go this route.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
The rust will continue to rust underneath paint. You need to remove the rust first before painting, if you choose to go this route.
Yes, I have been removing as much rust as I can before painting with a metal paint.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
Yeah I was thinking about solutions to that too. If you ever see the youtube channel Flock Talk she has a sisal rope system in her bird room where she hangs toys. I always thought she did a good job with that. If interested, check it out.
Flock Talk Room Tour

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I thought I'd update a bit here.
Here's picture progress of what is now the Quail's aviary. (Older photos, it's much messier now and all the plants were killed by their extreme dirt bathing. going to replace them at some point)
Before.
1676181261374.png 1676181311577.png A93476AD-B3D6-47F0-9B1B-24C476A09E40.jpeg
In progress.
20221209_120339.jpg 20221215_102628.jpg 20221219_193602.jpg
Finished*
20221220_181516.jpg 20221221_170308.jpg 20221223_172725.jpg 20221229_141757.jpg
*Still things I want to add and plants need replacing, but it's in use.
Will do another photo update of one of the other aviaries in another post.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Argh my internet is too slow right now to load the pics- I’ll have to check them another time

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
This one is on the small side for an aviary, still quite roomy but a pain to photograph. (This is focusing on the left? side, the other side is still to be finished)
Before.
720DA0C1-B0FB-4226-AD0B-8980772DF5B5.jpeg
In progress cleaning.
20221118_164645.jpg 20220829_085608.jpg
In progress set up/Finished. It has a few toys in there, but it's awaiting till closer to occupancy before being fully furnished.
20221118_164702.jpg 20221119_170343.jpg 20221119_193820.jpg
20221120_111257.jpg 20221120_111318.jpg 20221121_163726.jpg

So, still to do is finish the big aviary, the other side of the above and the quail grow out/extension.
20230212_163717.jpg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
These are totally amazing so far! Wow! You've done so well. Lots of hard work that will pay off in the end. :mop:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That was a lot of work! Well done!!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
After an extremely long break, I'm getting back into doing these aviaries.
Quail aviary extension/grow out is in the process of being set up.
20240329_103113.jpg
Next I'm going to be finally building the budgie aviary though. It's long over due.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Looks great!! :marlenesmile: :heart: