• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fish Tips And Facts

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
•Keep Medicine On Hand.
•Fish Love Garlic So You Can Soak Fish Food In Aquarium Water And Garlic And Your Fish Will Be Happy.
•Keep Extra Supplies.
•You Can Often Find Fish Tanks On Ksl, Facebook, Craiglist,.......
•Keep Backup Power Sources For Your Fishes Filter, Heater, Air Pump...
•Quarantine New Fish And Plants.
•Buy A Gravel Cleaner.
•You Can Use Used Buckets By Cleaning It With Dish Soap.
•Pets Stores Will Often Test Your Water For Free.
•Aquatic Moss Balls Are Great Enrichment For Fish, Snails, And Shrimp.
•Keep Silicone Glue For Aquariums. You Never Know When There Will Be A Leak.
•Live Plants Help Lower Ammonia And Nitrates.
•Shrimp Prefer Sand Over Gravel.
•You Can Train Bettas, Oscars, And Goldfish.
•Clay Pots Are Great Caves.
•Plain Ceramic Mugs Make Good Caves.
Sorry I Like Making Lists!:laughing6:

Aves

•Un Chlorinated Tap Water Is Best.
•Nerite Snail Babies Only Hatch In Saltwater.
•Freeze Dried Food Is Great!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Dechlorinated water is a must. Chlorine burns their gross and they will die a horrible, painful death. NEVER USE TAP WATER BEFORE IT IS TREATED, EVER

Aves

Dechlorinated water is a must. Chlorine burns their gross and they will die a horrible, painful death. NEVER USE TAP WATER BEFORE IT IS TREATED, EVER
Un chorlinated does sound weird! Oh I can't spell! I mean tap water after you remove the chlorine, it is full of minerals.

Reactions: Ali

Aves

Clay pots are a great breeding ground for good bacteria. Before use rinse 'em in aquarium water.

Reactions: Ali

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fish Love Garlic So You Can Soak Fish Food In Aquarium Water And Garlic And Your Fish Will Be Happy.
Fish will eat food containing garlic and there is a lot written saying garlic will aid in the treatment of ichthyopthirius in freswater fish and cryptocaryon in saltwater fish AKA. Whitespot there is no real evidence of this however.
There is evidence however that feeding garlic to fish will cause liver problems and heart problems if you have a fish that isnt feeding soaking food in garlic can initiate a feeding responce however not something you should do long term. Your fish will be happy but im happy when i eat chocolate

•You Can Use Used Buckets By Cleaning It With Dish Soap.
I dont know what you mean by dish soap as such but no detergant that is perfumed should be used to clean anything that will be used for a tank the cheapest unperfumed bleach is fine but will need to be rinsed a lot after being used to clean something

(RODI) Reverse osmosis de ionized water is best de chlorinating water will not remove any heavy metals or other polutants that can harm fish

Hope you dont mind my input i am new to keeping birds but i do know a bit about fish

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Garlic huh? Wow!

I (now) use tap water all the time.... I was told it depends on the type of chlorine used and most places use stuff that is actually safe for goldfish now. I don’t know any facts about it though, I’m just sharing what I was told. I only ever refill half the water in the pond with fresh tap water but in nearly two years of doing it that way I’ve had no issues. I was originally leaving the water in a wide top container for a whole 24hrs or more but someone told me I didn’t have to do that and that using the hose to add water to the pond also added much needed oxygen as the water splashing on the surface adds oxygen.

Any ideas which plants make and which steal oxygen from the water? I thought some plants remove oxygen from the water and others add oxygen?? I’d love to know which are best to use for more oxygen

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I (now) use tap water all the time.... I was told it depends on the type of chlorine used and most places use stuff that is actually safe for goldfish now. I don’t know any facts about it though, I’m just sharing what I was told. I only ever refill half the water in the pond with fresh tap water but in nearly two years of doing it that way I’ve had no issues. I was originally leaving the water in a wide top container for a whole 24hrs or more but someone told me I didn’t have to do that and that using the hose to add water to the pond also added much needed oxygen as the water splashing on the surface adds oxygen.
I personally wouldnt juts use a hose to add water to a pond leaving in a open top container for a period of time imo is beneficial water splashing on the surface causing aggitaion wont add oxygen as such however it will aid in oxygen exchange waterfalls and fountains are much more effective at doing this, aggitating the water in this way is much more beneficial.

To be fair goldfish are pretty solid fish and very resiliant i would still be adding the best quality water i coud and from the tap imo is not the best what you need to consider when adding plants is whilst they will add oxygen to the pond during daylight hours and consumer carbon dioxide the reverse will happe during darkness and they will consume oxygen and release carbon dioxide.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally wouldnt juts use a hose to add water to a pond leaving in a open top container for a period of time imo is beneficial water splashing on the surface causing aggitaion wont add oxygen as such however it will aid in oxygen exchange waterfalls and fountains are much more effective at doing this, aggitating the water in this way is much more beneficial.

To be fair goldfish are pretty solid fish and very resiliant i would still be adding the best quality water i coud and from the tap imo is not the best what you need to consider when adding plants is whilst they will add oxygen to the pond during daylight hours and consumer carbon dioxide the reverse will happe during darkness and they will consume oxygen and release carbon dioxide.
Thanks for the tip but I personally won’t be going back to bucketing the water.
The water test done after filling my pond with tap water showed no issues or differences to the tests done when I left the water sitting in big buckets for a day or two first.
The person who told me that my tap water was fine to use straight from my hose runs an aquarium so I’m pretty sure she knows what she’s talking about. She says my water is safe and fine to use straight from the tap without the 24hr wait.
I also read somewhere that one of the fastest ways to add oxygen to your pond is to spray the surface with the hose. I have the filter and fountain running during the day but turn them off at night.
Apparently more oxygen makes it harder for algae which is something I’m battling just now

ChirpysMom

Meeting neighbors
The best thing you can really do to combat algae is remove excess nutrients from the water.
People usually age water to allow for off gassing. I have also used dechlorinated tap with success, my tap tests nice and clean enough for shrimp at <180ppm tds. I add botanicals for my fish based on native plants from their native habitats and it makes for happy fish! :D

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The best thing you can really do to combat algae is remove excess nutrients from the water.
People usually age water to allow for off gassing. I have also used dechlorinated tap with success, my tap tests nice and clean enough for shrimp at <180ppm tds. I add botanicals for my fish based on native plants from their native habitats and it makes for happy fish! :D
Not all nutrients contribute to algae Po4 is what you need to be concerned with regarding algae growth.
I am in a different position as i my fish are in a tank but my water is all 0 tds after running through a RODI filter.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use tap water. What's suitable really depends on your water chemistry. When I was much younger & used well water, certain species thrived & I never ever had algae. Now that I'm using city water I can keep fish I'd never have thought about before, but have battled algae. I've only done RO water for saltwater - it was a rescue & I've never had a saltwater tank since. So. Much. Work!

What kind of algae is plaguing your pond, Shezbug?