• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fish in a barrel

Freesia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Hi...I have a small food safe barrel set up to collect rain water.

I am going to add fish to it. Considered goldfish (I didn't know that they can be different in looking from above or side ), but think will try minnows first.

Purchased a water thermometer and a back up check valve.

I have gravel and read about placing a sweet potato in the water.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks for listening.

Cally

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dell Guglielmo
Hi, I would do a bit of research and I don't know where you live but goldfish are cold water species requiring temps 70 degrees or below. Most pet stores and places where you can buy goldfish don't pay any attention to the needs of goldfish, most view them as a throw away species. They are very messy and big poopers. You will need filtration for sure. They always need a lot more space then the stores will tell you, most of the info at the big box stores regarding goldfish is wrong. I'm not saying you are going to do things wrong but just wanted you to be aware of the issues. Most ppl get goldfish, put them is a too small aquarium with a heater and then they die and they just buy more. You'll need a cycled tank (if you don't know what that means - then that's a great place to start.) It can be as easy as throwing some fish in a barrel - but they will probably NOT do well, be eaten by racoons, rats, birds of prey stuff like that. I have no idea of your knowledge and I sure as heck don't want to insult you so everything I'm saying could be off but just wanted you to know that there is a lot more to it then putting fish in a barrel.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Goldfish grow huge! I’d look into adult fish sizes, were I you. :)

Oh, & I think it’s @Shezbug who has a pond that is predator protected.

Freesia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Thank you sparkles99...a help as always.

Cally no insult to be taken. I appreciate the help. I live in FL and it is covered w a cheese cloth now. I plan on changing it to a meshing when I add fish. And opening here and there.

Plus it's on a wheeled planter bottom so I can move it to keep it from overheating.

I thought if the environment is small gold fish especially don't grow as much...?

I'm using it to water my passion fruit vine.

Thanks for listening.

Cally

Real Name
Dell Guglielmo
Sounds like you got it handled!! Good luck, I look forward to see some neat pics!!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I use mosquito minnows in my ten gallon in ground water for wildlife. They have fine fantastic for years , they had a stable number for about five years. They probably would have kept on going, but a tree limb fell in and clogged the water with debris and.

I don't know if that might be an option.

Freesia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Thanks Pixiebeak...I didn't know there is something called mosquito minnows...will do some reason.

Freesia

Cally

Real Name
Dell Guglielmo
White cloud minnow is another good one!

Freesia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Thanks Cally...

I was going fishing this weekend but looks like its going to rain all day Sunday.

I was just going to grab the lake ones and try them but will keep that type in mind.

Freesia

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Depending on your location & the region, grabbing lake fish may be illegal. I think you’d have fun at a local fish store.

Freesia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Oh I have a license and the minnows are considered bait fish from the lake.

Yes, it's a fun trip going to the pet fish section. There just weren't any minnows.

Thanks for listening.

Freesia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Due to weather forecast for weekend, I jumped at an opportunity to get some minnows today...had to brave the alligators lol, and my set up is very elementary: KIMG0707.JPG KIMG0710.JPG KIMG0709.JPG

Freesia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
I got a new solar pump today.

The minnows seem good, swimming up occasionally.

It rained a lot here today...

Thanks for listening.

Freesia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Fish are doing well. I'm debating at least one regular gold fish bc sometimes it's hard to see the minnows...

I bought a picnic food cover but sadly it was too big...so going to look for a small one at the dollar store.

Thanks for listening.

Freesia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Update

I got a black moor today.

They can be w minnows as long as they aren't tiny enough to fit in their mouths. I do have a couple but shall see.

Also read I can give them all oatmeal cereal...(?)

As always thanks for listening.

SunnySandi

Walking the driveway
I’m glad your fish are doing well. You can give goldfish a single, defrosted frozen pea to help prevent swim bladder problems. Also I’m sure you are aware, but be careful with blackmoors as they can and will pop their eye bubbles

Freesia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Thanks for the advice... didn't know about the eyes popping or the peas...

I'm so out of sorts bc of my Ducky...this helps a lot

Thanks again.

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Are medaka/Japanese rice fish a thing over there?

They are bred to be viewed from above and easily accessible here…but I am in Aus lol.

Freesia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
I asked where I got the black more about rice fish and he had no clue about them.

So thank you for telling me about them helps me feel like I'm trying...

Freesia