• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fischer's Lovebird x Parblue Lovebird?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Hi everyone!
So my lovebirds had babies, and I am 99.9% sure that that the dad is a parblue lovebird (with an eye ring) and that the mom is a fischer's lovebird. As of today, the babies are 18 & 19 days old. They have mossy-coloured downy-baby-feathers growing on them, and the wing feathers are bright green at the tips (but the rest are still pin feathers, obviously). So they appear to be turning all greenish, and I can just wait to find out, but still; I'm curious! So if anyone knows/has guesses about how babies like these usually turn out, I would love to hear it!!
Thank you and have a great day! :)

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you have any pictures? We love pictures! :D .

It would be very helpful to see good pictures of both parents to confirm their visible mutations.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
parblue lovebird (with an eye ring)
Which species?

Are these the same chicks as you wrote about before?

You should really learn which species all of your birds are before allowing them to breed.
¨Eyering¨ is not a species, it is a group consisting of four species (all of which have white rings around their eyes); Personatus, Fischeri, Lilianae and Nigrigenis.

Gigibirds

Hi! Yes, I’ll get pictures in just a sec. Also yes, same babies but I have confirmed the parents. And I know that eye ring isn’t a species, but I wasn’t sure if there were peach faced lovebirds in par blue or something, so I was trying to give you a clue about what type he may be. Also I was told that al of my birds were female, so I really wasn’t expecting to get babies!! I just left in the eggs to let them sit in them and then get over their broodiness. Here is a pic of the babies; and I get pics of the parents right now!

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The first picture, if that´s mum, is a Personatus lovebird. Doesn´t look pure, so very likely an ancestor was Fischeri due to the orange under the beak and the black mask isn´t very dark/has orange peaking through. Mutation is not wild type, because you can see she is quite yellow rather than green.

Second picture (Dad?) is a Fischeri lovebird. Mutation is Turquoise.

So if anyone knows/has guesses about how babies like these usually turn out,
They will be Personatus x Fischeri hybrids Green split to parblue.

Gigibirds

Oh wow, thank you!! So if the mum isn't the 'wild type', is she the captive type? Or what is the other type. And so the dad isn't a par blue? Whoops, I guess the breeder was wrong again! Oh lovely, I'm so excited about my babies!!! :D
(Sorry that I'm so ignorant about colour mutations and breeding! I really wasn't expecting to get into this!)

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Wild-type refers to the typical appearance of wild lovebirds of the same species.

This what wild Fischeri lovebirds look like. Notice how they have an orange face, orange-yellow chest, and green wings.

5ba68e659ad787bcf71e736f_fischers-lovebirds-1-p-1080.jpeg

This is what wild-type Personatus lovebirds look like. They have a black face (mask), yellow breast, and green wings.

IMG_6759.jpg

If a bird has any visible mutations, like ino or parblue, then it will look different from the wild-type. These mutations are generally cultivated in captivity so they are a clear sign of domestication. We don't really call it the "domestic-type" since there are many different possible mutations, but we do compare any new mutations against the wild-type for that bird.

Now, looking at your female, as Zara already said, you can see that her face is masked, like a Personatus lovebird, but her chest isn't solid yellow, like you would expect from a Personatus. Instead, it has a reddish orange color, similar to a Fischeri lovebird. Also the body color is not as green as you would expect from the wild type of either species and the mask is slightly washed out So this bird is likely to be a hybrid eye-ring lovebird, possibly with some other mutation(s) that dilute her colors a little.

The dad looks like a Turquoise Fischeri lovebird. Parblue is a general term that can be used to describe any partial blue mutation. In Fischeri lovebirds, there are blues and turquoises (parblue). In peach faced lovebirds, there are no true blues, but there are two parblue mutations - aqua and turquoise.

So the dad is a parblue. And he could also be described as a turquoise. The two terms pretty much mean the same thing, but turquoise is more specific. You will find that some mutations/colors may end up being called different names by different breeders. Eventually, the terminology usually gets standardized for consistency. Some terminology is out-dated or less accurate or confusing, so people might discourage using it to avoid misunderstandings.

Reactions: tka

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Such a beautiful bird. I really have a soft spot for these. When I see them for sale in my area, many are not pure, you can see their masks are diluted and have orange chests - a shame!. I just love that bold yellow chest and dark mask. Very spectacular. :)

And so the dad isn't a par blue?
Yes he is. Turquoise is a mutation. Parblue is used to describe the series (Green, Blue, Parblue).

some other mutation(s) that dilute her colors a little.
Yes some sort of eumelanin reducing mutation.

dad is a parblue. And he could also be described as a turquoise. The two terms pretty much mean the same thing, but turquoise is more specific.
All Turquoise birds are Parblue, but not all Parblue birds are Turquoise.

(Sorry that I'm so ignorant about colour mutations and breeding! I really wasn't expecting to get into this!)
If you are wanting to carry on breeding in the future, I highly suggest buying yourself a book. Then you can learn about the different species, and mutations.
I have posted a link to a great book, there´s also help with housing, aviaries, nest boxes, foods etc. It makes a great reference. I have a copy I bought just for fun reading, but haven´t read it all yet (Hard to find the time with no birds around eating pages!)
There is a genetics calculator online that you can put the parents info into and it will tell you what % of the chicks will be which mutations, but you need to know the parents mutations, and sometimes not all are visible.

Gigibirds

Oh wow! Thank you guys so much! This was so helpful!! That book is prettyyy expensive, but it does seem really great!! I just might need a copy! Yes, I say that genetics calculator once, but I had no idea what mutations the parents were. But thank you again!! I can't wait to see the babies when they are fully feathered!! Especially now that I'm pretty sure about what they will look like! :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That book is prettyyy expensive, but it does seem really great!! I just might need a copy!
Yea it´s pretty pricey, but it´s a great book.
If you were going to sell a couple of chicks, you could use the profit to buy it.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Oh wow! Thank you guys so much! This was so helpful!! That book is prettyyy expensive, but it does seem really great!! I just might need a copy! Yes, I say that genetics calculator once, but I had no idea what mutations the parents were. But thank you again!! I can't wait to see the babies when they are fully feathered!! Especially now that I'm pretty sure about what they will look like! :)
If you live in the US, used copies appear on eBay and Amazon from time to time for reasonable prices.

Gigibirds

Well, I have a couple of updates! First of all, I got a copy of the book! :) I'm super excited for it, and I'm just waiting for it to ship! :) Second of all.....My babies are really showing their colours now! One is a pickley/olive green (just like his dad), and the other one has wings the colour of wild-type fischeri lovebirds!! I attached a couple of pics :) Thank you again for all of your help!!
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.01.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.01.34 PM.png

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Will you be selling the chicks? If so, please be very honest with buyers about their parents.

That´s good you found a copy of the book, it´s a great reference.

Gigibirds

No, I will not. I love them too much, and I wouldn't trust anyone with them. The breeders that I got their parents from were wrong about so many things, (and they are the only people who I know here with lovebird experience) and so I don't want to give my babies away to anyone less than perfect! What do you mean be honest about their parents? Like tell them who is the mom and dad? Yes, thank you so much for the tip!