• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Vet Visit

ItWasntMe

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
Hello all! I am going to be bringing home my first parrot in the next few weeks. I want to get him a check up as soon as I get him. Along with a general check up, what else should I have him checked for? Bacterial infections? What kind? He’s a blue throated macaw btw :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vet can also do a basic blood panel and CBC and also a culture and/or gram stain.
Congrats on getting the macaw.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How very nice - everyone on this forum who has a Blue Throat just loves them.

Both of my birds were very ill, so you wouldn't want the extensive exams they had every three months. What I like to see a vet do for a normal bird is a thorough external physical exam and at the minimum swabs and gram stains both anal and choanal. If anything pops up on these two tests then the Vet might recommend additional tests, such as a CBC and Chem Panel. Actually, I really like to see a CBC and Chem Panels on their first visit as a base line.

This article is by the AAV;

External examination by Dr. Sakas

Here is something you can print out and keep for reference. It is Dr. Sakas' explanation of the lab tests, results and meanings - very handy.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! Blue-throats are amazing birds.