• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

'First' Vet Visit, Clean Bill of Health!

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Percy's first vet visit with us just happened, I couldn't be more happier that I've been educating myself correctly for all this time. We did a health check and a nail trim and everything looks good! His flighties are growing at a normal pace, his beak and nails look good and his eyes (compared to the scare with the shut eye) are doing fine.

He did wonderful with the towel wrapping but was a little shy of the camera when they had to take his cover photo and did great with the dremmel used to file down his claws (calling to mom a little bit, of course). The vet gave me a big pamphlet on first aid, foraging and food and also recommended me the website GoodBirdInc.com for training his willingness to attack people who aren't me
:lol:

Overall he was really calm and quite liked the veterinarian!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Did your vet do a blood draw and run a CBC and Chem panel. Did he do a throat and cloacal swab and gram stain? Without these a health check is not complete.

I'm glad his external exam turned out well.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I'm glad his first exam came out well, and he was well-behaved. :heart:

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Honestly, I know for sure that the exotic vets in my area never did a CBC, Chem panel and swab tests as described above for my budgie. I am hesitant about bird ownership again due to the lack of an avian vet in my area. We only have vets that see exotics..no dedicated avian vet.

conureluv

Did your vet do a blood draw and run a CBC and Chem panel. Did he do a throat and cloacal swab and gram stain? Without these a health check is not complete.

I'm glad his external exam turned out well.
No, this was just a yearly check. I didn’t really schedule all that stuff since it didn’t come with the regulars, I don’t have a “real” income source (of course I have the money to pay for the yearly and trims with spare for emergencies).