• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First vet visit and bloodwork question

Ginaekkie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gina
Hello all. Looking for your collective advice. How long should I wait for the first vet visit and blood work after rescuing my 2 ekkies? They have been with us 1 week today so not adjusted or fully trusting of us yet. I want to avoid the trip and visit to set back. They both have an iffy past and have been on not the best diet (I’m slowly working to change that) so it’s also equally important to have them checked out fully. Boy is approx 3 yr and girl is 4

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My belief is that they should go to the vet ASAP. Without his help you will not know if something is seriously wrong with your birds - something that treatment should not be put off until the future.

They will be upset whether you take them in now or later and either way they will get over the upset.

Reactions: tka

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's best to get all the trauma done in as short a period as possible. Get them vet checked so they can start getting settled in without any further disruption.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
ASAP is the best time to do it. If they do not yet know and trust you properly then there is no relationship or trust to damage, it is better to find out sooner rather than later if they have special health needs. Vet trip needs to be done so it wont matter if you upset them now or later- they will likely not like visiting the vet regardless of your relationship status and in my experience the vet is the bad guy not me... when taking birds to the vet- the vet towels them, not me, the vet pokes and prods them, not me, the vet upsets them and does all the stuff they dislike, not me then the vet hands them back and I am the rescuer who treats and praises them for being such good birds.
None of mine have held onto the fear of the vet trip for long (pretty much over it by the time they're back in the car) or changed towards me because of it- they get over it pretty fast just like dogs who dislike the vet clinic.