• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First vet trip - which carrier to keep my new Indian Ringneck tame and behaving well?

jmlw7

Sitting on the front steps
Hi all, I recently posted a little about my new 8 month old Indian Ringneck, Remy, who we've had for exactly 5 days now. He is doing SO well, stepping up on command, barely biting by day 4 and learning how not to be afraid. We have to go away this weekend and are leaving him alone all Saturday morning, day, night and Sunday morning and day and are already afraid that may set back some taming training since he will be missing a day and a half of playing with us and being out of his cage.. On top of that, I made his first vet appointment for the following Saturday (about 15-20 minutes away), to give him a full physical and cut his ridiculously long nails! I dont want any more set backs to his training and dont want him to be scared of us after his first car trip... so which carrier should we bring him in?

what do you think of these for remy?? It's just for the vet, really. Should I just get the first one for now (my preference), or should I go all in and get something to actually get him to travel longer with (second one)?

1. for the vet - which I really like since people say its light weight and I can carry. And its easy for Remy to see around him
Caitec Paradise Perch and Go! Travel Cage for pet birds at Drs. Foster and Smith

2. for all around travel - but Im afraid will be too heavy for me to carry?
Bird carrier, travel birdcage: Poquito Avian Hotel by Avian Adventures at Drs. Foster & Smith

Opinions on something better are welcome too, as I want the first car trip to go as smoothly as possible. We are introducing him to so much so soon, so the safer he feels with us the better!

Thank yooooooou! :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think any and all of those could make a bird fearful. All of my guys get fearful in carriers, even when we are going to fun places. So just remember you IRN is tame and loving no matter what but anything new and scary can make them temporarily fearful. And most birds who are handraised, tame and loving become scared, skittish and fearful at the vets. I dont think there isnt much you can do except accustom them to it. Accustom your ringneck to the carrier. Which takes time and patience.

jmlw7

I think any and all of those could make a bird fearful. All of my guys get fearful in carriers, even when we are going to fun places. So just remember you IRN is tame and loving no matter what but anything new and scary can make them temporarily fearful. And most birds who are handraised, tame and loving become scared, skittish and fearful at the vets. I dont think there isnt much you can do except accustom them to it. Accustom your ringneck to the carrier. Which takes time and patience.
Thanks, I decided and bought this one - the clear one... I guess we will see what happens next weekend (the 11th), when we try and get him in! :scared6:

jmlw7

Thanks, I decided and bought this one - the clear one... I guess we will see what happens next weekend (the 11th), when we try and get him in! :scared6:
Hi all, just wanted to update for whoever is thinking of buying this carrier... we took him on a "trial" road trip to the store the other day... he was super wary of the cage as expected... we got him inside and he clung to the cage door as the acrylic top didnt give him anything for his beak to grab on to. He didnt touch the perch. He clung to the cage door the entire time. When he got in the car his eyeballs were darting everywhere ;) expected, but he was terrified! :( Anyway, we were back home within 10 minutes and I guess he realized the cage is ok because when we left it open right next to his main cage, he climbed in on his own to grab some nuts we put on the floor of it. We lined the bottom with a towel, wrapped the top handle in hemp rope to make it easier for him to stand on (which he did on his own and hung out eating his nuts), and will replace the plastic perch inside with a wooden natural one to make it more comfortable. So at least he knows what it is and may be ok for our vet visit this coming saturday! hopefully!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Good job. Those were some good moves you made. I'm lucky that 2/3 of my birds travel very well. They both have been on 800 mile trips with me....but everbirdy's different. If he is still super scared when you get him in the car next, try covering a good % of the cage. If he's not worried about things coming at him from all angles he might settle down. I usually cover the forint and most of the sides, leaving the back uncovered so they can see me. :) Good luck!

jmlw7

Good job. Those were some good moves you made. I'm lucky that 2/3 of my birds travel very well. They both have been on 800 mile trips with me....but everbirdy's different. If he is still super scared when you get him in the car next, try covering a good % of the cage. If he's not worried about things coming at him from all angles he might settle down. I usually cover the forint and most of the sides, leaving the back uncovered so they can see me. :) Good luck!
Thanks Katy - do you put their cage against the seat and strap it in with a seatbelt? If I put him in the backseat and I'm in the front, I wonder if the bumps and turns and stuff will bother him? He is so little I would hate for him to be jostled around