• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Vet Appointment Tomorrow for Turk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bessamy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Beth
What questions should I be asking?

What tests do they normally do for a well bird check?

I would take time to search more, but I am at work and sneaking on here during my breaks. =)

Thanks everyone!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am sorry I do not have any information for my vet did a baseline for when he was sick to compare with any questions you have are good

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
A fecal gram stain, CBC, make sure it's an actual count and not an estimate. Blood tests for the big 3. Visual inspection of feathers, eyes, ears, nares, vent. DNA if you don't know what sex s/he is. This is important, you don't want to miss an egg bound female because you think you have a little boy. Some people also get a swab of the throat.

Ginger

Bessamy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Beth
Thanks! I called them yesterday to ask. The receptionist didn't know so she had the doctor call me. He sounds amazing so far. Not sure about the CBC unless there is reason to check from the physical exam. But he talked so fast and I had a lot of people in my office talking while I was on the phone. So he might of said something about it. We will see shortly.

Lizzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lizzy
Beth,

Just checking in to see how the vet visit went and which vet you picked to take Turk to.

Please let us know when you can.

Lizzy

Bessamy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Beth
It went really well. We went to a vet in Morgantown. He is working on his Avian certification.

Turk did really well. We were so proud of him. He has only been with us just over a month.

He only has one problem, he has a bit of scissor beak from his previous diet. So he is going to keep watch on it. We are to go back for a checkup in 6 months. The doc didn't want to do anything yet since he is still adjusting to his new environment.

The doc answered all my questions and was really good with Turk. You could tell he has been around birds most of his life. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.