• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Timer

Scoop3211

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Jackson
Hi all,
I'm a first time cockatiel owner. Prior to buying Dino from our local produce store a week ago I spent 2 weeks researching as much as I could so that both my son and his new friend could have an easy transition.
Dino spent his first night in the travel cage we brought him home in, the next morning I took him to the vet to get his wings clipped, I took him out of the Cage when we got home and he has had free range of our home since. After talking to him and whistling to him while going about our daily routine for 4 days he began to eat from my sons hand and climbed on his arm to eat. A day later I had to take him to the vet as he had cotton wrapped around his claw, when we got home he came out of the travel cage and flew into the garage and has been there for 3 days. My son and I have tried everything to get him to come out but no luck. He will only eat and drink from the bowl when we hold it up to where he is sitting. He hasn't been vocal with us at all since being in the garage and hisses at us when we try to coax him to come down.
im unsure of his age, maybe 4-6 months old.
any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Attachments

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Um, if he's not supposed to be in the garage, towel him and put him back. Or, better yet, just wait until he's hungry and carry him back with food.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried putting his cage in with his food and water?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe you can lure him down with some millet. It sounds like he’s scared and unsure of the garage. I hope you can get him down!

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
step ladder, perch .. For future reference, it's not a good idea to clip your parrot, especially when they are young. They can injure themselves more easily if they are clipped improperly, they can end up with less muscle strength for flying or never learn to fly properly when clipped too young.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Did you manage to get him back into the house?

Scoop3211

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Jackson
Thank you everyone for ur advice! I had previously tried using food but that didn't work, I tried to use his ladder but he would jump off and fly away, I even played cockatiel sounds from my phone and placed it outside the garage door (into the house) but that didn't work either. I was able to safely towel him and get him back to his cage without him being grumpy for too long lol after about an hour he was happily interacting with my son through the cage. We are going to continue interacting with him and begin to build up trust so that we can eventually let him out of his cage more regularly and know that we can easily get him back in.
Tara81 I wish I knew that info about clipping the wings, I wouldn't have gotten it done. Is it best to just leave them from now on?
Thanks guys

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Thank you everyone for ur advice! I had previously tried using food but that didn't work, I tried to use his ladder but he would jump off and fly away, I even played cockatiel sounds from my phone and placed it outside the garage door (into the house) but that didn't work either. I was able to safely towel him and get him back to his cage without him being grumpy for too long lol after about an hour he was happily interacting with my son through the cage. We are going to continue interacting with him and begin to build up trust so that we can eventually let him out of his cage more regularly and know that we can easily get him back in.
Tara81 I wish I knew that info about clipping the wings, I wouldn't have gotten it done. Is it best to just leave them from now on?
Thanks guys
Let the wings grow out from now if you can, been able to fly will make him much happier and more confident because he can escape situations easily. It’s also very important so he gets enough exercise. :)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yes it is definately best to leave it. Birds were meant to fly, it is more healthy and natural to let them keep their wings if possible. Females can have complications if they are not healthy like egg binding, and flying definately keeps them healthier :)