• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time Weaning and need help

Cricket88

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Soad Hachami
Hi I just recently got a blue cinnamon ringneck baby at 35? (Only pin feathers)Days for the past month I’ve been hand feeding him and everything was going well until one night he didn’t want the formula. I won’t lie I was pretty nervous and a bit stressed out that this happened at only 50 odd days. Is it normal? Some people on the internet think it’s ok.so I buckled up and started the process one feeding in the morning afternoons and one at night. It’s a battle. I mix a bit of banana and vitamins my vet gave me in the mix. I’ve also cut down on the amount is that ok? During the day I offer him fruits vegetables and seeds. He nibbles a bit.and I don’t think he’s getting enough to eat. Crazy parent?!?! I’ve become a bit paranoid about his droppings. I check on them constantly.I have to constantly reassure myself It’s ok it’s ok he’s pooping right stop worrying. His droppings have become smaller but today after his afternoon feeding he only pooped a bit of white and liquid. Now I’m freaking out. He seems alright plays around flies like a drunk pilot loves his naps. Am I doing this right?

Attachments

Cricket88

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Soad Hachami
Hi I just recently got a blue cinnamon ringneck baby at 35? (Only pin feathers)Days for the past month I’ve been hand feeding him and everything was going well until one night he didn’t want the formula. I won’t lie I was pretty nervous and a bit stressed out that this happened at only 50 odd days. Is it normal? Some people on the internet think it’s ok.so I buckled up and started the process one feeding in the morning afternoons and one at night. It’s a battle. I mix a bit of banana and vitamins my vet gave me in the mix. I’ve also cut down on the amount is that ok? During the day I offer him fruits vegetables and seeds. He nibbles a bit.and I don’t think he’s getting enough to eat. Crazy parent?!?! I’ve become a bit paranoid about his droppings. I check on them constantly.I have to constantly reassure myself It’s ok it’s ok he’s pooping right stop worrying. His droppings have become smaller but today after his afternoon feeding he only pooped a bit of white and liquid. Now I’m freaking out. He seems alright plays around flies like a drunk pilot loves his naps. Am I doing this right?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

Your bird is very cute :) I am not sure at what age ringnecks begin to wean but if you are offering weaning foods between handfeedings and he is eating some of them then it would not be unusual for him to cut back on formula on his own. Try just offering formula two or three times. I find babies are not super hungry first thing in the morning so you may want to wait two or three hours after he gets up before feeding him, if he is not begging for food. You may find he will be hungrier.

Once babies are learning to fly they will be very distracted and want to fly and play. You might try letting him burn off some energy before offering food.

Here is a link to a very good resource on how to wean parrots.

Cricket88

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Soad Hachami
Your bird is very cute :) I am not sure at what age ringnecks begin to wean but if you are offering weaning foods between handfeedings and he is eating some of them then it would not be unusual for him to cut back on formula on his own. Try just offering formula two or three times. I find babies are not super hungry first thing in the morning so you may want to wait two or three hours after he gets up before feeding him, if he is not begging for food. You may find he will be hungrier.

Once babies are learning to fly they will be very distracted and want to fly and play. You might try letting him burn off some energy before offering food.

Here is a link to a very good resource on how to wean parrots.
He resists formula feedings, I’m using a spoon, I’m not very experienced in syringe feeding. Sometimes I wish I was. This would be a lot easier. He ends up eating only half of what he usually eats. I’m still not clear about the size of the clutch if it’s full or not. If anyone has any insight?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
He resists formula feedings, I’m using a spoon, I’m not very experienced in syringe feeding. Sometimes I wish I was. This would be a lot easier. He ends up eating only half of what he usually eats. I’m still not clear about the size of the clutch if it’s full or not. If anyone has any insight?
This is normal. Just keep giving him as much as he will eat. The best way to make sure everything is okay is to weigh him each day and if he is not losing weight then he is eating enough. He could even lose 10-15% of his weight and be fine if he is weaning. So if he weighs 100 grams then a 10-15 gram weight lose is fine. It is important to keep offering the formula so that he is not desperately hungry. Also formula is a habit and it takes them a while to get used to the idea that they don't need you for food and that they can do it on their own.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
What is the formula you are mixing the banana and vitamins in?? Are you going to transition your cutie towards eating pellets?

Cricket88

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Soad Hachami
It
What is the formula you are mixing the banana and vitamins in?? Are you going to transition your cutie towards eating pellets?
The breeder makes his own formula. It’s a mix he takes to the mill and they turn it into a powder substance. I wanted to introduce banana tastes to him and vitamins in case he’s not eating enough during the day. Currently There’s no pellet available for parrots in Iraq. It kills me to give my IRNs a seed mix but I have no choice and veggies and fruits are always available for them.