• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First-time Layer (Lovebird) at 10mos

Cecily

Moving in
Hi, everyone!

I'm an accidental owner (long story) of a lovebird we had, until now, called John. Well, John just laid an egg, and as I have no experience with egg-layers, I'm wondering if someone with breeding experience can help me through the first-time worries of having a young egg-layer.

John started showing signs of nesting behavior and, because he's only 10mo, I immediately tried all the stop-laying things I could find: low light, short days, no nest areas, etc. Got him to the vet who confirmed he might be ovulating but was otherwise healthy. Despite best efforts he laid an egg two days ago, and today is sitting near the top of the cage with the classic arched/puffed back, peeping now and then. Defecating normally, fairly chatty to himself. Coming down to drink water, but definitely tail-bobbing and a very fat butt.

I am hoping this is the signs of another egg, but because all my past experience says puffed up back = call the vet, I'm hoping to hear from more experienced owners: when do you start thinking about egg binding? How do I tell the difference between the normal discomfort of egg-laying (which in my experience with chickens is broodily sitting in one spot, puffed up, chirping a little, until suddenly Egg) and the signs of egg binding? Initial internet research suggests some similarity between the two? Should I be waiting until I see him ignore food/get very blinky-eyed to get him checked out?

Sorry for the length and potential nothing; John's a bit of a miracle baby and my first lovebird so I'm just a total overprotective monster. My vet is probably tired of seeing me for nothing, lol.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello @Cecily

I´m sorry you didn´t get any responses sooner.

By now you should in theory have another egg. Do you have two eggs now?
Also in theory another could possibly be laid tomorrow.

Eggs are laid every 24-48 hours until the clutch is complete.

My girls first ever clutches were both two eggs (Average is 4-7 for an adult lovebird).

If your girl is a single bird, just leave the eggs where they are and if she wishes to brood them, let her. If she has a mate, take the egg, boil it for a couple of minutes, let it cool down then put it back where you found it.
You can remove the eggs once you are sure she does not want to brood them, wait a few days of not sitting after the second egg laid.
If she sits on the egg/s, give her 3 weeks from the date of the last egg laid, and then remove them, and rearrange the cage at the same time, move perches, food bowls, toys etc Introducing a new toy can help get the nesty behaviour out of their minds.

A small smear of blood on those first eggs is fine, nothing to overly worry about. Bleeding from the cloaca is a problem and a visit to the vet would be needed asap.

Seeing the egg bump and the hen not passing the egg is also a problem. Acompanied by loss of balance, lethergic, loss of appetite, fluffed up, unusual poops, no poops. These are all signs that something is wrong.

To quench extreme fear of egg binding, be sure your bird eats pellets and vegetables, ( a little seed is ok), keep your bird flighted and allow plenty of exersize, a chance to fly daily, some unfiltered sunshine or a vit D3 supplement (consult with your vet before giving any supplements). These are all things that will reduce the chance of egg binding drastically.
A clipped bird on an all seed diet is more likely to become egg bound than a flighted bird on a compelte diet.
I know it´s a common read online, hens getting egg bound, and the fear is not non-existant, it really does happen... but not to all birds.
We should be aware of it, but not afraid of it. Give our birds what they need so they have a better chance of avoiding this happen to them.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions please do post them :)

Cecily

Moving in
@Zara

Thank you so much for your informative and kind post!! I needed the details and reassurance. This forum has been such a priceless source of support, and I'm incredibly grateful for everything people like you do to make it that way. Thank you for all the time you've spent now and in the past to share your wisdom!

My vet was certain I had no reason to stress John out by bringing him in until I was absolutely sure he was egg-bound, so it was SO helpful and comforting to have an experienced lovebird parent give me a list of symptoms to check him for. We had been seeing a very swollen bottom, sleepiness, and some clumsiness/loss of foot strength for about eight hours, and were kind of on edge to see if it was regular laying discomfort or if any other symptoms showed and we needed to get him in. As soon as the second egg passed he shot right back to 100%, though, bouncing all over, full of business. No sign of acknowledging his eggs, and he's alone, so my plan is to give him three days to figure it out and then take them, provided we don't see any slowing down for a third egg.

He's flighted, but half seed/half pellet, no supplements, and our apartment gets very little light. I'm hoping the second egg taking a while longer to pass is something that will be less typical as he reaches full maturity, but we're also going to transition him to full pellet, more veg/fruit, and some Vit D. (Already have the list for the vet to approve, lol.) For now he's just getting loads of playtime and as much millet as he wants while he still gets to play the pregnancy card. :)

Thank you again for your help both in the past and now! John is an unplanned bright spot in our lives and I'm so grateful for have experienced people to turn to as I learn how to keep him as healthy and happy as possible!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
so my plan is to give him three days to figure it out and then take them
Yea, be sure to give her a good chance. Though inexperience and lack of a mate may remove her interest in brooding. Hopefully she won´t brood them, it´s easier when they don´t, then you can remove them and things go back to normal, it is a bit of a pain when girls have eggs under them, it can make them cranky, protective and nippy.

we're also going to transition him to full pellet, more veg/fruit, and some Vit D. (Already have the list for the vet to approve, lol.)
That´s good :)
I get tonnes of sun in the summer but not so much in the winter (the sun is out and shining but too low in the sky to reach my balcony) so I give a little egg food in the winter when I see eggs on the way. It´s a nice calcium boost and they have their D3 in their pellets.
Talking to your vet about diet, supplements and nutrition is always a good idea as they have your birds details/analysis, they know what your bird needs more of and what they are doing well with so they can guide you much more accurately than anybody online.

a list of symptoms to check him for.
Once you have seen a handful of eggs laid, you will know what´s normal. And then going forward, anything that seems different, worse, or worrying you will know to head to the vet.
You could write notes or memos to remember symptoms and behaviours so you are a little more prepared and know what to expect during the next clutch.