• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

first time egg (maybe?)

birbs

Meeting neighbors
Yesterday, Babie laid her 2nd (3rd egg 1st on cracked). I went to check on her egg today and saw 2 right blue spots on the eggs. I can't tell if it's the newly laid on or the last one she laid. Is that normal?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Coloured marks on eggs is not normal. I wonder if it´s transfer? Maybe your birds ate coloured pellets or blueberries? Or they played with a blue toy?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Yes, parrot eggs are all pure white. But sometimes they get stuff like poop/food/other markings on them. It sounds like just a bit of stuff got on the egg, and that would be normal, but could you get a picture of it?

birbs

Meeting neighbors
I think she ate some coloring on her toys because all the other eggs are normal so I'm not too worried.

birbs

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE: So far Babie has laid a total of 9 eggs.
1st one cracked and she's sitting on the eggs.
The first 4 eggs are infertile (have a pinkish hue to the shell)
The last 3 eggs are white and are fertile.
Recently laid another 1 but I can't tell the color yet.
She's going a little bald on her chest area, heard it's normal that they molt when incubating.
The male has now started to go inside the nest to feed her sometimes.
There is a very tiny crack on an egg and it is not noticeable until you look very carefully. The membrane is not punctured and there is no leakage. According to my calculations on incubation, the eggs may hatch at the beginning of June.
Is there anything I should look out for? I don't know if she's laying another egg (could be her last?) and could it be she laid two different clutches around the same time? The first few were all infertile and the recently laid ones are fertile (male did start to climb into the nesting box after all last week). There wasn't any pause in between and she laid her eggs on time, one every two days. She seems really happy with her eggs.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Oh wow how exciting!!!! Yes, the bald spot is normal...they need to lose those feathers so their heat can transfer to the eggs better. Well right now if she is not laying any more eggs, then there's not much that you need to do except keep on making sure that they have an abundance of food (and egg food/calcium for the hen if she is still laying). Usually any sort of crack causes the chick to die, but I hope that this one doesn't. You must be very excited at the prospect of babies! :D

birbs

Meeting neighbors
So I think Babie may be finished with laying eggs as her vent does not look swollen anymore (not 100% sure). I have another set of budgies in another cage and she has laid 3 eggs and she punctured a hole on all three. I think they were fertile (a small white ring-like shape in the yolk). Does anyone know why she does that? She may be curious or something because she does have enough calcium and Babie doesn't even do that(crack her eggs). The eggs have two holes on both sides so 100% she tried to do something about it. What should I do? I think she may continue to crack it. She also doesn't have a nesting box (maybe that's the reason?) but it is coming in tomorrow. Any advice? I thought it would've lasted until she laid her second one but it didn't even last a full 24 hours.

birbs

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE: Out of 4 fertile eggs, one was a DIS (?). Another egg has a small dent (no leakage) but I covered it up with tape. The eggs should start hatching next week (hopefully).

birbs

Meeting neighbors
So I search it up and it was indeed dead (only 11 days of incubation). It took me a long time to finally throw it away and I cracked it open. Before I did, I checked it a million times. Through candling, there seems to blood rupture and only small veins. There was also a sign of a blood ring. Half of the egg was white (I don't think it's supposed to happen) and the other half was really dark and yellow. The color of the egg was not yellow or pink or reddish. It was a very dark brownish color. It already had a small crack on the eggshell even though there is not a puncture through the membrane. I also saw two weird-looking circles on the sides (looks like air escaped in there or something). When I cracked the egg, there was a faint smell of something rotting. Poor baby has already started forming. There were only a few red veins and the yolk was a brown color. The egg looks like the one on the right lower corner. The other eggs look like the ones on the left. The dead embryo looks like the 2nd image. I apologize if the image is a little gruesome.
Date of the eggs: 05/11

Attachments