• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Time Conure Owner

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I have a couple more questions for everyone!

So this morning she fell to the bottom of the cage twice trying to move around her cage. Could this be a sign of illness or poor placement of perches? I have ordered more today to make sure she had a proper way to get around.

Also, I really want to harness train her sooner rather than later, so would it be good to go ahead and buy one and place it near her so she knows what it is now? Then once she learns step up and other basic training, then slowly start training her how to use it?

Thank you again everyone for the help!
I would really only start harness training shen she is 100% comfy with you holding and moving her around as a harness does require you to poke and prod at their body a fair bit. But yeah, you can start leaving it around her cage.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I think you have a young newly weaned girl correct? They can be clumsy at first at this age. Depending, it can be helpful to lower all perches in the cage to just a few inches off the bottom . Until she gains better coordination. They get better fast in a week or so you can start raising them back up .

You also want to consider extra steps as they learn to fly. Like burd strike sticker on windows. Or keeping blinds down curtains closed when she is out. When yiu csn yiu walk them around and tap on window to start teaching thrm what windows are. Their flight distance is short st this age too, you can put blankets and pillows on the floor at the range yiu think they csn go. so they don't crash on hard surfaces. They can have big urges to fly st this age. And they do learn and get better. My flighted adults csn zoom gull speed without hitting anything even in a rare panic flight.
They onky exceptions are low light at night they don't see well in the low light and Csn crash into stuff.

I failed night time st harness training.....but it takes trust to harness train. So I would focus first on bring frirbds and hanging out.