• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Time Conure Owner

GiraffePay

Moving in
Hello everyone!

I just for my very first conure yesterday. She is a turquoise green cheek conure and she was handed by a breeder before being shipped to me yesterday.

I have primarily left her alone in her cage and just talk to her a lot and sat by her cage as much as I can. Does anyone have any tips to help me gain her trust? I have left the cage open all day and she flew out earlier when I was swapping out her water and food. But I think she just got startled rather than wanting out. I picked her up and rubbed her head for a bit before putting her back, and she seemed very calm and content in my hands but ran away from me as soon as I put her in the cage.

She has been eating and drinking regularly throughout the day, but has not touched any of her toys. Just sitting on her perch and grabbing food and water when she wants. She has preened as well which I think is a sign of comfort. But any advice on this would be much appreciated, thanks!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll try to pop on when I'm off of work. Congratulations on your new little one.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hi!
Green cheeks are wonderful birdies.
She sounds a little nervous as she's settling in, keep sitting there by her cage and chatting to her. The way to a birds heart is through their stomach, try hand her some treats, apple pieces, millet, sunflower seeds ect. You can offer her to come out once she's settled in using a small perch and a treat, can be a bit daunting for a small bird to be on our hands when they're new. I was able to gain Spearmints trust through apple and peas, and spending time with him.
Once she's comfy with you a bit more, maybe start target training, as it keeps a distance between you two and isnt super invasive, and can help you both out in the long run.
We need photos of her too

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like you have made a great start, when changing water food or cleaning her cage go really slow talk to her tell her what your doing.
I sat by both of my girls cages just chatting to them listening to music and getting us used to each other.
Start offering treats from your hand and then start some daily training i would do some target training and then start on some step up training.
When offering treats or training let her come to you it might take some time but you will get there.
Dont worry about not playing with toys again this can take time one of mine doesnt bother with toys much.

Does she have a name ?

:needpics:

And we all want to see her

:welave:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:congrats5: :heart2:

If she is used to being handled then she might want comfort from you. Will she step up to you?

You can mash a comfy chair right next to her cage so she can climb on you from cage . Sit and offer treats, talk, to her and also let some if your focus be on your phone or a book. The hope would be she gets used to you and curious abd want to climb out on you. Get attention and climb back and forth to her cage.

Don't worry about not playing with toys. She will explore and chomp on when she is ready.

Would love to see a oic!

GiraffePay

Moving in
Thank you everyone for all the advice! I be sure to continue sitting by her and chatting with her until she feels comfortable to come out!

I've seen many differential opinions on some websites saying it's best to leave them completely alone for a few days, and other saying the exact opposite. But I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to keep her happy and healthy!

I tried to offer her some millet and apples as the person I got her from said those were her favorite, but she seems to nervous to be able to enjoy them from me. But since she's still eating consistently, I'm not super worried about it!

They aren't the greatest photos because I didn't wanna get too close and scare her, but here are a few!

Attachments

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Thank you everyone for all the advice! I be sure to continue sitting by her and chatting with her until she feels comfortable to come out!

I've seen many differential opinions on some websites saying it's best to leave them completely alone for a few days, and other saying the exact opposite. But I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to keep her happy and healthy!

I tried to offer her some millet and apples as the person I got her from said those were her favorite, but she seems to nervous to be able to enjoy them from me. But since she's still eating consistently, I'm not super worried about it!

They aren't the greatest photos because I didn't wanna get too close and scare her, but here are a few!
How precious! I would recommend removing the cotton toy as if she swallows it she can choke or get a crop impaction. Green cheeks love natural wood shredding toys, bird kabobs are a fav of Spearmint.

I think whether you leave her alone or not is dependant on the bird. I took Spearmint out the first day as he wasn't skittish at all, he's a very people-orientated bird so him coming out the first day was okay for him, he wasn't scared or nervous, and was very quick to trust us. Some birds want to be left alone while they settle in, and if she's skittish I'd say you should let her settle down first. :)

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've seen many differential opinions on some websites saying it's best to leave them completely alone for a few days,
I would totally agree with this she is eating and drinking, she is in a new home new cage if she comes to you great if not just give her some time sit and talk to her she will soon settle.
you seem to have a good idea of how your bird is feeling and i would say trust your judgement ask as many questions of course the questions you are asking are all spot on i would also say the observations you have made and how you are interpreting them are also spot on.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Agree with my buddies above.
They are all unique individuals in how they react and adjust.

Some want to be with you away, some need a few days to feel confident.

You can add a few perches on the outside of thee cage by the door and under the door to make it easier for tgem to come out . And it can be easier to interact with them there.

It might be good to add a regular perch back there were she is hanging out as a retreat spot in addition to the log thing.

And I think was mentioned earlier food bribes go a long way.

You can do a lit if walk over saying hi *burd name and hand treat ir out in dish then back off.

She is beautiful! Thanks fur the sneak peak!

GiraffePay

Moving in
Thank you again everyone for all the feedback and help! I did have two toys with cotton, and both have been removed. Thanks for the tip! I will be sure to order more toys to replace those and be more mindful when ordering them!

She actually came out of her cage and I was able to give her some good head scratches for about an hour, but her back so she didn't get dehydrated or anything.

As of right now, she doesn't seem to be super treat motivated, but I assume that will change more once she gets more comfortable. But does anyone have any training treat suggestions? I have try sunflower seeds and millet so far. I ordered some yogurt training treats, but I read that those are bad for birds, so I have no tried any of those.

Either way, I am very happy with the progress so far and i appreciate everyone here helping me so far in providing feedback and tips!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
She is so pretty. Congratulations :)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
My gcc and quakers love safflower seeds, popcorn, slivers of apple, broken up Tocco shells ( I give just a little pinch of at time) they also love the exaggerated praise ( like you do for toddlers) nearly equal to the treat

I feed a small amount of Greek yogurt with no artificial sweetners to mine every other week or so. I haven't tried the yogurt ball treats for birds

Hopefully you've started offering some fresh veggies. Yellow and orange bell peppers are a big favorite here. Young ones are usually easier to get started on veggies are they are more willing to explore and follow the flock ( you) lead.

Its so fun to your excitement and love for your lucky lady! Do you hsve a name yet?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

GiraffePay

Moving in
My gcc and quakers love safflower seeds, popcorn, slivers of apple, broken up Tocco shells ( I give just a little pinch of at time) they also love the exaggerated praise ( like you do for toddlers) nearly equal to the treat

I feed a small amount of Greek yogurt with no artificial sweetners to mine every other week or so. I haven't tried the yogurt ball treats for birds

Hopefully you've started offering some fresh veggies. Yellow and orange bell peppers are a big favorite here. Young ones are usually easier to get started on veggies are they are more willing to explore and follow the flock ( you) lead.

Its so fun to your excitement and love for your lucky lady! Do you hsve a name yet?
Awesome thanks for all the treat suggestions! I'm gonna try to start training her a bit today and possibly introduce her to her first chop.

I'll use thag exaggerated praise today if she doesn't seem interested in treats just yet, as she seems to respond to voice already! Her name is Arya by the way, sorry I forgot to mention that in my original post!

GiraffePay

Moving in
I have a couple more questions for everyone!

So this morning she fell to the bottom of the cage twice trying to move around her cage. Could this be a sign of illness or poor placement of perches? I have ordered more today to make sure she had a proper way to get around.

Also, I really want to harness train her sooner rather than later, so would it be good to go ahead and buy one and place it near her so she knows what it is now? Then once she learns step up and other basic training, then slowly start training her how to use it?

Thank you again everyone for the help!

Cosmo305

Strolling the yard
Morning and congrats. What a cutie. Cosmo only really loses balance around his cage when either his nails have just been trimmed or he gets over excited about something. But I would definitely wait for someone with more experience than mine to chime in on that. I have his perches kind of laid out like stairs in certain areas so he can kind of climb up and down on side, and then more spread out on the other side. I would definitely keep an eye on it, but sounds like she might be just getting used t the cage. I also have a coupe of flat perches in there made from stone and he seems to like those for a change.

His favorite treats are mostly fruit - any kind of berry, but mostly ones he can pull apart like blackberries and raspberries. He also loves sugar snap peas. For actual bird treats he loves Lafaber Pellet Berries (they have more pellets than nutrí berries). Oh and freeze dried fruit too - traders joe’s has strawberries and blueberries, they have a bit more crunch than fresh so I mix it up!

Last edited:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Both of mine occasionally fall in there cages when theyre playing and get a bit crazy, keep your eye on things to see if it continues, one of my Conures isnt the greatest climber at one point she had about 14 perches in her cage to help her navigate it.
Have you got any pics of your cage set up showing your perches it could be moving them around could make things easier.
Do you have any platform perches they are favourites of both of mine.