• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time Caique w/new Caique

Danny64

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danny
I got a new White Bellied Caique on Wednesday after having wanted one for a really long time. It was a local rehome of a 13 month old male. I am a long time bird owner, but this is my first Caique. So far, all is well. He is very loving and we love him very much as well. I think he was lacking personal attention in his last home of 2-3 weeks, but he was taken care of very well otherwise. The nice lady we got him from was afraid of keeping him with her dogs. He has a habit (he did it with us as well) of jumping down from his playstand to go to people. This is when the dogs would go after him. Already on his first night with us, he would call for us if we left the room, and he is loving the personal contact with us.

We have a smaller King's Aluminum Dometop cage (silver) coming for him on Friday. I have never had one of their Aluminum cages yet.

Danny

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new bird! Sounds like things are going well. :)

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Caiques are awesome birds and loads of fun!! Learn his body language (pinning eyes, stalking, swaying with big shoulders.....these are signs for you to give him space). When mine are out, I have them on me (not a playstand, unless they choose to be on that instead). I always have a bath towel with us...they like to chew on it, if they get over-excited I use the towel for protection (for me and them)...it's also good to catch poops! Life is never dull with a caique....I wouldn't change a thing! Be sure to check out "The good, the bad, and the ugly" on the Caique-cul-de-sac forum to get an idea of the body language. Have fun!!

Danny64

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danny
It seems like having small toys out when he is with me is a good thing, otherwise he always has to be on.a hand, stopping me from doing things.

Danny

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
What? You're not giving him your full attention?. Good luck with tbat