• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Time Breeding Budgie Pair

BrdyLover0

Checking out the neighborhood
20210729_184040.jpg
I need help troubleshooting getting a first time nesting pair to utilize the nest box instead of their chosen half moon empty food/water dish.
(Trying out showing concave nest to her with onservation hatch door off for now)

The nest box is a Vision Hagen Co. plastic nest box with concave nest spot. It can be installed inside or outside the cage. It has a secondary ventilation hole besides the entry and a perch. It also has room for hen and growing chicks to move around.

The hen is 6 1/2 years old and the cock is 5 years old. Just as reassurance to any more experienced breeders, I have responsibly owned budgies for over 10 years now and this situation has caught me off guard.

[Alittle Background on My Budgie Ownership: ...
I have only ever had two bonded females at one time. My first two females lived to be 6 (Kahuni) and 7 (Nani) years old. This current bright green female (Kahili) was the new companion for my lonely 7 year old Nani for the last year of her life. The seven year old unfortunately succumb like her first friend to one of the common health issues in budgies, a suspected crop tumor.]

I have had the nest box installed for a week and they come near to eat millet (an enticement to try and have them explore) but have yet to enter.

Instead, the novice female hen chose at first a vertical cuttle bone holder with small cup at bottom. I added the half moon dish to encourage her away from it and prevent the cage floor being tried as the next alternative.

Should I let her nest in the half moon cup and wait until the first egg is laid, then carefully transfer it to the nest box to show her where to lay the possible other eggs?

They have already begun to mate for the first time once visibly to me Tuesday, July 27th. I want to be prepared and provide the most ideal environment for a nest in the possibility of fertilized eggs.

I have done extensive reliable research already on all topics related to budgie breeding over the last month just to be prepared. I also have two avian vets to consult with and understand the risks (due to their age and being first time budgie parents) and how to be prepared to take emergency action if needed.

I have been converting them to more of a consistent veggie and fruit diet add on over the last two months to compliment their preferred seed (Kaylor of Colorado) seed blend/pellet (Zupreem Fruit Blend previously Roudybush Maintenance Crumble). They have access to a cuttlebone and mineral block, and I have begun to offer hardboiled egg with finely crushed egg shell for protein and extra dietary calcium. I have them interested in tasting sprouted seeds. I also have a calcium, magnesium, vitamin D3 supplement arriving from Amazon today.

Please do not judge me, I didn't plan this and feel embarassed not knowing my one female was actually a male this whole time. I was told when purchased from a local small pet shop that the male was thought to be female and having never had the color mutation she/he is before I believed this to be true. Both birds were purchased from Kahoot's pet store in California and came from local responsible breeders. They were both between 12 and 14 weeks old, fully weaned, friendly, and fed veggies along with seed at the pet store.

I was only prompted to investigate further when I noticed more intimate relationship blossoming in the last three weeks than just friends. Before now, they have always acted like two female friend budgies. Included current photo taken today:
(Left- "Kekipi" Sky Blue, Opaline, Male)
(Right-"Kahili" Bright Green, Normal, Female)

20210729_114857.jpg

They have never tried to mate until this year, that I noticed. I now know there was a fake mating attempt once this past April and full courting/bonding led to mating this July. Possibly due to my new adopted rescue cockatiel's presence and the humid weather conditions??

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Not sure if you know already but I am going to say it anyway just incase you don't.... Just because your birds are mating does not mean you have to hatch baby birds.
If you have birds who do not get a lot of regular exercise and have not been on a perfect diet for months before hand then it is not a good idea to allow any eggs to develop through to hatching.
Not sure but I believe the age you are considering letting your birds breed is the age most budgies are retired from breeding.
I will tag a few members who will hopefully be able to give you all the information and help you'll need but if they were my birds I would be removing the nest box so as not to encourage them and I would be removing and boiling any and all eggs before they start to develop.
@Zara @Ripshod @PoukieBear

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think Shezbug said most of what I was going to say RE removing eggs. We can have pairs of birds without allowing them to breed. They can mate and lay eggs all they want, and we just scoop them out. I have pairs mating and laying all the time but I have no intentions on chicks right now or for the forseeable future.

Should I let her nest in the half moon cup and wait until the first egg is laid, then carefully transfer it to the nest box to show her where to lay the possible other eggs?
No. If she is sitting in that D cup then remove it and use another feeder. Regardless of whether you allow to nest and breed. I use a weird box type thing, but there are other models too.
feeder.jpg

supplement arriving from Amazon today
Be sure to discuss with your vet any supplements to get the dose right :)

Please do not judge me, I didn't plan this and feel embarassed not knowing my one female was actually a male this whole time.
Sometimes a store or breeder will say the sex is one, and turns out to be another. There´s nothing to be embarassed about!

BrdyLover0

I am completely new to this forum, and have a question needing an answer from an experienced budgie breeder. I have quoted my original thread below with my question.

I originally decided to post to the Budgie Boulevard, but decided to repost here as well as my question is specific to breeding.

Any reliable/credible advice will be greatly appreciated. I know its a long thread, but please bare with me and read all my details. I felt it all was relevant to mention. I am not a new budgie owner but lack in experience with an opposite sex bonded pair.

View attachment 390032
I need help troubleshooting getting a first time nesting pair to utilize the nest box instead of their chosen half moon empty food/water dish.
(Trying out showing concave nest to her with onservation hatch door off for now)

The nest box is a Vision Hagen Co. plastic nest box with concave nest spot. It can be installed inside or outside the cage. It has a secondary ventilation hole besides the entry and a perch. It also has room for hen and growing chicks to move around.

The hen is 6 1/2 years old and the cock is 5 years old. Just as reassurance to any more experienced breeders, I have responsibly owned budgies for over 10 years now and this situation has caught me off guard.

[Alittle Background on My Budgie Ownership: ...
I have only ever had two bonded females at one time. My first two females lived to be 6 (Kahuni) and 7 (Nani) years old. This current bright green female (Kahili) was the new companion for my lonely 7 year old Nani for the last year of her life. The seven year old unfortunately succumb like her first friend to one of the common health issues in budgies, a suspected crop tumor.]

I have had the nest box installed for a week and they come near to eat millet (an enticement to try and have them explore) but have yet to enter.

Instead, the novice female hen chose at first a vertical cuttle bone holder with small cup at bottom. I added the half moon dish to encourage her away from it and prevent the cage floor being tried as the next alternative.

They have already begun to mate for the first time once visibly to me Tuesday, July 27th. I want to be prepared and provide the most ideal environment for a nest in the possibility of fertilized eggs.

I have done extensive reliable research already on all topics related to budgie breeding over the last month just to be prepared. I also have two avian vets to consult with and understand the risks (due to their age and being first time budgie parents) and how to be prepared to take emergency action if needed.

They have a large enough cage for short flights. I have been converting them to more of a consistent veggie and fruit diet over the last two months to compliment their preferred seed (Kaylor of Colorado) seed blend/pellet (Zupreem Fruit Blend previously Roudybush Maintenance Crumble). They have access to a cuttlebone and mineral block, and I have begun to offer hardboiled egg with finely crushed egg shell for protein and extra dietary calcium. I have them interested in tasting sprouted seeds. I also have a calcium, magnesium, vitamin D3 supplement arriving from Amazon today.

Please do not judge me, I didn't plan this and feel embarassed not knowing my one female was actually a male this whole time. I was told when purchased from a local small pet shop that the male was thought to be female and having never had the color mutation she/he is before I believed this to be true. Both birds were purchased from Kahoot's pet store in California and came from local responsible breeders. They were both between 12 and 14 weeks old, fully weaned, friendly, and fed veggies along with seed at the pet store.

I was only prompted to investigate further when I noticed more intimate relationship blossoming in the last three weeks than just friends. Before now, they have always acted like two female friend budgies. Included current photo taken today:
(Left- "Kekipi" Sky Blue, Opaline, Male)
(Right-"Kahili" Bright Green, Normal, Female)

View attachment 390031

They have never tried to mate until this year, that I noticed. I now know there was a fake mating attempt once this past April and full courting/bonding led to mating this July. Possibly due to my new adopted rescue cockatiel's presence, recently moving into a larger cage, and the humid weather conditions??

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Duplicate threads merged to contain all info and responses in one place.
If you would like the thread moved, just let a Super Moderator know and we can do that for you.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I first bought the Budgie Boys and brought the home, I had no idea what sex they were. I just hoped they were the same (either both male or both female). For me it turns out that they were both male. Your budgies are just beautiful!!

I don't think I can add anything to the advice you have received as I have never bred birds of any kind, and I don't intend to do so. It's such a huge responsibility, and I just can't add to the number of birds that end up in the hands of people who don't care or in rescues. Good luck with your sweet pair, and let us know how any changes you make work for you!

BrdyLover0

Duplicate threads merged to contain all info and responses in one place.
If you would like the thread moved, just let a Super Moderator know and we can do that for you.
Yes, I would appreciate it being moved over to the Breeder's Boulevard. Would you be able to do so? Thank you for the advice.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think them exhibiting breeding behaviors is confirmation that the one is male. Two females can exhibit the same behaviors.