• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Time Bird owner

agnesbeck

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm a first time bird owner. I've had my Quaker for 3 weeks now. It's (DNA pending) only 2½ months old and is molting (I had no idea what that even was until about 12 hours ago). I can barely even get near it without being bit although we're doing much better in the last few days. Everyone talks about giving the bird treats to motivate and also assumes that's is just going to stand there while I hand it to him. There's NO getting near it because it can FLY. This bird would just as soon eat my finger than to even try a treat much less stand there as I hand it to him. How do I even begin??? It can fly 25 - 30 feet and it always flies away from me to higher ground (my oak entrainment wall unit) where I'm just chasing it like an idiot. It did land on the couch the other day so a just sat down. Within 3 mins it stepped right up on my lap and we hung out for about 10 mins. Should I have concerns? I've been advised to give it time but I'm afraid the more time I give it alone....the more it'll want to BE alone.
So much mixed info. I'd like realistic info please and thank you.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Training birds is a mix of brains, consistency, manipulation, understanding and of course a huge massive side dish of patience.
First up...... do not chase it anywhere anymore. You know you are not gonna hurt the bird but he does not know that and they are a prey animal so it is natural for him to want to fly to where you are not and you will have to work to get him this is so he can get away safely again, so it is a matter of actually earning his trust and having him want to be with you.
I am hopeless with explaining this stuff but @Monica (who I tag all the time for this stuff) is really good at explaining what it is you need to do to have the bird respond in a more desirable way for you. Flying is great for your birds health and mental well being so I am so very pleased to hear he is able to fly even if it is making you get more exercise than you planned on lol.
With all them pin feathers on his pretty little head, your baby might just love a shallow dish to bathe in or a misting with some nice fresh water- my boy loves extra baths when he is full of pin feathers and it also tires him out some as he flaps and carries on like a sizzling pork chop in a fry pan having his own little water party.
Every thing with birds takes time and the more you try to rush it the longer it seems to take and more impossible it may seem.

You will get lots of great advice, genuine support and help here...... Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

:congrats5: on your gorgeous baby :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

Also, you can offer a shallow dish of water to bathe in to help you bird with those pin feathers during moult :)

PotatoSodi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Oliver
Hey welcome to the avenue - I am new around here too and with a Quaker who is experiencing pretty much what you are going through at the moment. I've learnt that the best thing (and this is what people have told me) to do is to let the bird come to you on it's own terms and to keep everything at the birds pace.

agnesbeck

Checking out the neighborhood
So this little guy is going to want to come to me naturally?
Thank you all.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So this little guy is going to want to come to me naturally?
Thank you all.
Yes and no. You've received some good advice!

If all your bird receives is negative experiences with you, he, or she, will not want to come to you.

If you pair yourself with positive experiences, then yes, your bird will want to go to you.

You do not need to *physically* hand the bird a reward. If you know what your bird's favorite treat is, then you can use that as a reward. Any time you *slowly* walk by the cage, drop a treat into a special treat cup. If you have a play area near you and the bird is there, you can drop a reward down. As the bird becomes more accustomed to your presence, you can start working on training new behaviors such as target training.

I've gathered a bunch of great training resources here.