• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First moult

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Hi guys,

So after having Toki and Pickles for a while now, I think they've just started their first moult. Toki in particular is losing feathers at an alarming rate, though there are no bald patches, and I'm worried they may have mites. Call me paranoid (and I may well be) but I've never had a bird moult so heavily before. They're definitely not plucking as there's no blood on the feathers that I find, and no damage that I can see. I'm scared to take them to the vet as the last time they went for a checkup they were terrified to the point that I honestly thought the stress would kill Toki.

Any advice? I can provide photos if that's any help!

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Check near the vent and under the wings for mites. As for moulting it's my twos first moult and they were quite heavy, though have slowed down now just some wing and tail feather I believe that's left.

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Check near the vent and under the wings for mites. As for moulting it's my twos first moult and they were quite heavy, though have slowed down now just some wing and tail feather I believe that's left.
Thing is they're not quite hand tame yet, so they panic when I pick them up. I can't see anything on their vents though.

I forgot to mention that Toki is very itchy and seems to be scratching at his neck fairly often. I've never had a bird do this during moult before, so I'm unsure what this is about. They're bathing and preening just fine, no scaly feet or anything either and their eyes and cere are clear. I might well just be paranoid!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
If there are a lot of pin feathers it's probably them, you could offer more water for the to bathe in more often and even increase the humidity in the room (put some wet towels on the radiator.) you could also add some coconut oil to the water to soothe their irritated skin.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
If the skin around the area looks sore or toki seems really irritated a vet check might be a good idea.