• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First molt

AMQ

Strolling the yard
Hello all.

I think my bird is having his first moult?
Im starting to find this down feathers everywhere( excuse my English, I don’t know the correct word. I used a translator)
She/He is now about 17 weeks old, so that should be around 4 months old.

last couple weeks he/she is starting to bite a lot.
It was never a fan of hands, but now when my hands come near it’s starting to get aggressive and starts to bite.
(hè/she still wants to play a lot and likes to take a nap on me.)
Could that be because of the moult?

ive added a picture of Some feathers it loses

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
I am not sure how you answer your question because I’m new to owning birds too. My lovebird has also been dropping feather like yours has. Maybe @Zara or @fluffypoptarts can help?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could that be because of the moult?
Maybe.
Your bird will start their first moult over these next few months. That browline will come in nice and defined.
Being the first moult, they will likely be itchy and a little more stressed than average. Bathing can help with that.

At this age they also start to sexually mature, and start to look for a mate.

Try to be considerate of all the changes they are going through. But also, don ´t allow your bird to bite you. See what is making them bite, then don´t do that.
You can try introducing a new toy or foraging activity to take occupy their mind for a little while and see if it helps with the biting.

AMQ

Strolling the yard
Maybe.
Your bird will start their first moult over these next few months. That browline will come in nice and defined.
Being the first moult, they will likely be itchy and a little more stressed than average. Bathing can help with that.

At this age they also start to sexually mature, and start to look for a mate.

Try to be considerate of all the changes they are going through. But also, don ´t allow your bird to bite you. See what is making them bite, then don´t do that.
You can try introducing a new toy or foraging activity to take occupy their mind for a little while and see if it helps with the biting.
thank you for your response. Yeah he/she has some toys that she plays with a lot. I don’t know what makes it bite.I don’t handle or touch it cause the bird really doesn’t want to be touched. I’ll keep it in mind that it’s maybe of the stress/itchiness