• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

first lovebird (6-8 weeks old) help!

lemonlike

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! I just got my first bird, Lemi (short for Lemon) a Fischer’s lovebird! I’m not sure what color/mutation(?) he is. All I know is that he looks like a kumquat and a mango lol. He arrived on August 7th. Here’s a picture of him :)

E71780CE-A3ED-4AEF-82EB-2D590516E035.jpeg
He doesn’t seem to be interested in pellets or seeds unless I feed them to him, and it would take hours to feed him all his pellets one by one. So, I’ve been giving him a few pellets and bits of Nutri-berries along with lots of millet.
I was also wondering how long it would take for him to trust me enough so I can teach him to step-up? I’ve read that babies like him should be more focused on bonding rather than training at his age.

Reactions: Ali

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

Your Lemi is lovely! :swoon:

What food was he fed at the breeders/shop (where he came from). It is best to feed them the exact same diet, even if it was not a good one. Just while they adjust, then once they are settled in you can slowly transition him to the diet you want. He may have never eaten a pellet before and it is alien to him.
If this is the same food, then he could still be settling in. But leave the foods available in bowls for him and he will eventually find them.

On the same note, feeding him from your hand will help develop a relationship between you both. Though you don´t want to be feeding him his whole diet, just a few odd bits will do.

Once he is comfortable out of his cage and approaching you a little, here is a video to show you something you can do with Lemi to get him used to hands;
Between stages it could take hours, days, weeks or months, just be patient.
Also, once he is comfortable around your hand, it will be easier to teach him to step up.

lemonlike

Checking out the neighborhood
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

Your Lemi is lovely! :swoon:

What food was he fed at the breeders/shop (where he came from). It is best to feed them the exact same diet, even if it was not a good one. Just while they adjust, then once they are settled in you can slowly transition him to the diet you want. He may have never eaten a pellet before and it is alien to him.
If this is the same food, then he could still be settling in. But leave the foods available in bowls for him and he will eventually find them.

On the same note, feeding him from your hand will help develop a relationship between you both. Though you don´t want to be feeding him his whole diet, just a few odd bits will do.

Once he is comfortable out of his cage and approaching you a little, here is a video to show you something you can do with Lemi to get him used to hands;
Between stages it could take hours, days, weeks or months, just be patient.
Also, once he is comfortable around your hand, it will be easier to teach him to step up.
Thank you! I’ve learned that he only likes to eat when I’m watching him, and he’ll occasionally eat when I’m not looking! He was originally fed Roudybush Nibbles, he seems to like his Lafeber pellets but I’ll order some from the pet store later :smileflower: