• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First hatch assist

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
I am not a breeder, but learning from a long time breeder and avianculturist. Im learning something new every day. Its so exciting, and my birds are thriving. Not all of breeding is "pretty" however. I had a clutch from first time parents, all 7 eggs were fertile. The first chick hatched, then the next chick hatched. I checked on the babies a bit later and there was only 1 baby. Where did the other go? On closer inspection, all the eggs had holes in them. The cock had destroyed all the eggs and one of the chicks evidently. I managed to save the remaining chick that had hatched that morning, and he turned out fine. It was heart breaking though.
Today, I checked on a clutch of tiels, and candled the remaining eggs. Two looked like late death in the shell, but one was puzzling. I pulled the eggs, and happened to hear chirping from the puzzling egg. I knew the chick was in distress, and carefully broke open the shell. The chicks wing was over its beak, and he could not break the shell. I could see his little beak, but he looked dry. I grabbed some warmed distilled water and q-tips and removed a bit more shell. He needed to be warmed, he obviously could get air, so I put him back in with mom and dad. After 15 mns I checked, and he had hatched a bit more on his own. Another 15 mins, he was hatched a bit more. After an hour, he was fully hatched and tucked under dad and his siblings..
Tonight, he is still doing well, so much tinier than his brothers and sisters, but doing just fine.
I hope I never have to do that again, but thanks to the knowledge I have gained from my friend and mentor, he made it into the world today.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m glad the ´tiel chick hatched ok.
I compiled a list of articles here if you wanted to read more; Assisted Hatching (Parrot) Eggs

As for the ¨vanishing¨ chick. That´s grim. When the little ones die in the nest, they get squashed down under the bedding very flat. So if you didn´t find the body yet, I recommend a full bedding change.

Wishing you success with the little ones :)

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
I named this baby Miracle. He/she is doing great. So tiny. The 4 babies are in the brooder, hand feeding them. More Cockatiel hatching this week, parakeets due soon as well. I feel like its raining blessings.