• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First eggs. HELP

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The grate only has 2 prongs busted off but not a danger!
They could get their heads stuck in it, so ultimately it is a danger.

Oh goodness I am even more confused. I pulled out the grate and they are now scrambling to the eggs on the tray.
Why are you confused?
Those birds would likely lay down their life to protect their eggs if needed.

I´m struggling for ideas on ways to help you, I think I´ve posted a few different ways.

I am going to have to let them hatch now? omg
No. Boil them. Even if you got the dummy eggs now, you would still need to take the real eggs.

Is there a parent or friend or someone there to help you?

jazzy

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Michelle
They are sitting on the eggs. I just ordered conure eggs but cant get them here until the 19th. I am going to have to let them hatch now? omg There are no avian vets in here CT except for this one. who I wouldnt trust to take a pet rock to. :sad10::sad10::sad10::sad10::sad10:It's too late though now isn't it? I'm calling every avian vet who will talk to me now.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No it is not too late. Two of those eggs are only a day or two old. Just try and get them out somehow.

jazzy

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Michelle
omg There are no avian vets in here CT except for this one. who I wouldnt trust to take a pet rock to. :sad10::sad10::sad10::sad10::sad10:It's too late though now isn't it? I'm so sorry to bug you. I cant leave them for days with no eggs. if I took them out now until the dummy eggs arrive.cIt will break their little hearts. I'm calling every avian vet who will talk to me now. I cant catch the birds to take them to a vet. They are now vicious.[/QUOTE]I should still take out the eggs, but have to wait until the dummies come but til then just leave them there with them.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Michelle.

Boil those eggs in simmering water for a few minutes. Let them cool down, then put them back on the tray for your birds to sit on.

Remove that grate because it is dangerous, so you just have the tray at the bottom of the cage.

When your dummy eggs come, you can switch them all for dummy eggs, even though there will be no chance of them hatching, it is easier to monitor as you will spot any neew real eggs amongst the dummies easier.

You are not bugging, ask what you need to, I want to help you :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do not wait for the dummy eggs. Take the eggs they laid, boil them to stop them from developing, and give them back to the parents.

Are your birds DNA'd? That is, you know for certain you have a male and female?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@jazzy How are you getting on? Everything ok?

sweetwillow

Meeting neighbors
I wish I could give you some advice but I came to this thread looking for advice of my own about eggs. Let me just say re: There are no avian vets in here CT. You may want to look up Northeastbirdclinic.com (located in Ashford, CT) they even make house calls and the vet is very good.

My situation: Solo budgie (8 years) Just laid her first of 5 eggs over a three week period. Only one survived intact. I boiled it and put it back but she doesnt lay on it, instead she is nibbling the shell.
Somewhere on this thread Zara mentioned that the dummy eggs work dont work for budgies. Is that correct? I am so afraid of her not stopping to lay and I was thinking of ordering some but I too will have to wait 5-6 days and that is practically another week of keeping the process going. I dont use a bottom grate and there are newspapers on the bottom, which she goes under and chews. She free flys around the room daily with the female cockatiel and I believe she perceives the tiel as a mate and thats why she is laying. Should I leave the solo egg in cage or add dummy ones to get her to stop??

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I wish I could give you some advice but I came to this thread looking for advice of my own about eggs. Let me just say re: There are no avian vets in here CT. You may want to look up Northeastbirdclinic.com (located in Ashford, CT) they even make house calls and the vet is very good.

My situation: Solo budgie (8 years) Just laid her first of 5 eggs over a three week period. Only one survived intact. I boiled it and put it back but she doesnt lay on it, instead she is nibbling the shell.
Somewhere on this thread Zara mentioned that the dummy eggs work dont work for budgies. Is that correct? I am so afraid of her not stopping to lay and I was thinking of ordering some but I too will have to wait 5-6 days and that is practically another week of keeping the process going. I dont use a bottom grate and there are newspapers on the bottom, which she goes under and chews. She free flys around the room daily with the female cockatiel and I believe she perceives the tiel as a mate and thats why she is laying. Should I leave the solo egg in cage or add dummy ones to get her to stop??
If it’s a budgie you do not need dummy eggs. You can just remove the egg.

sweetwillow

Meeting neighbors
will that stop her from laying? the other four were removed and she laid the fifth.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
will that stop her from laying? the other four were removed and she laid the fifth.
Budgies don’t replace lost eggs from their clutch like many other parrots so removing them does not cause them to lay more.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Let me just say re: There are no avian vets in here CT. You may want to look up Northeastbirdclinic.com (located in Ashford, CT) they even make house calls and the vet is very good.
Dr. Ann Bourke, who owns Northeast Bird Clinic, is a certified avian veterinarian in Connecticut.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
will that stop her from laying?
She will likely still lay a full clutch.
Once that is done, be sure to shuffle the cage around, move toys, perches, food/water bowls. Rotating the cage or moving it a little can help too.

sweetwillow

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for your help. I didnt know that about budgies. I can tell another egg is on the way. I will move things around the cage today.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@jazzy Did you manage to get the eggs ok?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi @jazzy I was just thinking about your eggs. How did you do? Did you figure something out? I hope you and your birds are well.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Wrong picture. DRAT
WHEW!! That's a relief-- the cage bar strength, nor the perches were right for the Conures... Q-- What kinds of birds are in there? My husband laughed when he saw all the toys!