• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Day with New Shy GCC

Zazu123

Meeting neighbors
So this I got to pick up my baby green cheek! This handsome little fella was all over the place in the carrier when I picked him up from the breeder, but settled down once we were on the way home. Once we got home I quietly tried to coax him out of his carrier, but he had a different idea. He made a break for it and jumped right over my hand to freedom. Don’t worry, I quickly was able to get him into his cage. For the first two hours the poor baby stood in the corner of the cage sleeping and perching quietly. I hung out with him that whole time just talking quietly and playing some classical music for him as he napped. After a few hours I started to get worried that he wasnt moving around, or eating and drinking. So I decided to leave the room for a while to see what he would do. I watched from my iphone through the camera I set up to watch him, and after 5 minutes of me being gone the little critter decided to explore his cage. What a relief! So for the past few hours I have been going to visit him every half hour, and everytime I step in the room he freezes . The poor thing is soo shy! But there has been some progress! The last two times I have gone to visit he has let me pet his little head. So I guess so far so good.
I also brought in my other green cheek for a quick second to say hi to his new little brother and he seemed quite excited to get to him! But hes gonna have to wait 30 days to officially meet his little brother.

Any tips would be great when dealing with a shy baby! My first one was the complete opposite the first day I got him.

ConureKiwi

Moving in
When I first got kiwi he was so shy! All I did was sit a good distance away and pretend to be distracted, I let him know I'm just sitting here and not putting him in danger a few minutes later he would start to warm up and move or scratch his head, I sat near him for almost an hour. Sometimes I got up to walk and do daily stuff he might be seeing so he'd know there's no danger. See if this works out for you and let me know!
Also, he is adorable! Cute and shy, just wait until he warms up lol!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For really shy birds I cover all but about 6 inches of the cage so they can hide while still checking stuff out :) also try not to stare at him too much... Makes them feel like lunch ;)

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
He’s gorgeous! I would be careful to make sure he actually wants to be pet and isn’t just letting you because he’s scared.

Hopefully him and your other conure will become buddy’s :swoon:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
He is so adorable :)
Give him time and I'm sure he will come around. It's all new to him so he is probably scared. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
He is beautiful...congrats. Just let him do his thing and it will all work out.

Zazu123

Meeting neighbors
So Im at the point that he does everything he wants in his cage while Im around, he follows me around the cage when I offer him apple to eat cause he loves it. He's eating great, playing around, super active and vocal. He seems pretty confident with having me around and taking treats from my hand. So today I opened the front of the cage to see if he wanted to come out and hang out on the perch I have installed outside his cage. After about ten minutes he decided to come out and perch on the outside perch I have. After about 30 seconds he decided to fly off the perch and run towards the window. Unfortunately his wings are clipped, I had chosen him after the breeder clipped his wings so I didnt have a chance to ask them to leave him flighted. I wasn't sure what to do then because I didn't want to grab him. But after about 10 minutes of him trying to get through the window to the outdoors and my unsuccessful attempt to try to convince him to come to me with an apple I had to pick him up to put him back in the cage. I thought him struggling to understand the window was stressing him out too much. So Im not sure how to go about having him outside the cage when all he wants to do is run away.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
can you set his cage next to the window? Maybe then he can go on top and realize it is a window and not an exit point. It was likely a good thing he was clipped in this instance. I have a few who just don't get the window concept and become head bonkers. All my windows are covered if there is enough distance they can initiate window bonking. I almost lost Jewel a few years ago. She flew upstairs out of the bird room and hit the picture window so hard it knocked her out. Dr. O said if her head had been angled differently when she hit, she wouldn't have made it.

Zazu123

Meeting neighbors
can you set his cage next to the window? Maybe then he can go on top and realize it is a window and not an exit point. It was likely a good thing he was clipped in this instance. I have a few who just don't get the window concept and become head bonkers. All my windows are covered if there is enough distance they can initiate window bonking. I almost lost Jewel a few years ago. She flew upstairs out of the bird room and hit the picture window so hard it knocked her out. Dr. O said if her head had been angled differently when she hit, she wouldn't have made it.
So I can put him near the window, but it is next to a draft so it makes me nervous having him there full time. He kept on tapping on the glass with his beak and then sometimes tried flying forward. He took a few moments to calm down and take a bit out of the apple I had near him, but overall he just kept trying to go out.

Zazu123

Meeting neighbors
How stressful is it to a bird when he keeps trying to fly out the closed window, I wanted to see if he was there for long enough he would just give up and have a walk around the room instead. But he just wasn't budging, and I was scared it was to much stress on his little body.:(