• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First birds!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So I finally took the plunge (granted into the shallow end of the pool) and picked up two society finches yesterday. I observed them for quite some time before making a decision and I noticed a pattern emerging with two of them seemingly enjoying each others company more than the others so I picked those two up. They are society finches and I have a quick question about their vocalizations. Can you help me differentiate these please? I will have to upload an audio file later, but allow me to at least describe it here initially.

I know society finches generally have to be DNA sexed to tell them apart or sometimes your can tell by their singing. Perhaps the differences I am hearing are due to sex? Maybe different breeds? Maybe I just have one really unique finch? Maybe one has an anatomical deformity that allows him/her to make this sound. I just don't understand the reason yet. The darker one (I have not picked names yet.) makes this constant quick chirp that sounds like three successive chirps (very close together). The lighter one makes the single type "meep" that I typically associate with finches. These behaviors are consistent between both of them. They don't switch sounds ever. These sounds are also distinctive from some of their other calls. I have not been close by yet to tell who was making what call. These guys are still very new. The sounds I described initially though are not calls. They seem to be the normal most common sounds they make when they decide to get chatty.

I am also curious why they have periods of chattiness and periods of silence. I don't think they are sleeping and I don't think they are eating during those times. I will need more time to observe them.

So in summary, looking for answer to two questions:

1. Why the difference between them regarding their most common sounds?

2. Why sometimes chatty, other times not?

Thanks!

IMG_20170801_193619.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I really don't know very much about finches but wanted to say that your birdies are super cute!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Very nice! Congratulations!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Do we know for sure you have one male and one female?

They're cute, and you aren't really going to know by their vocalizations, sorry. :)

I could say the chirpy one is a hen. I may be wrong. Three chirps is like "where are you my friend?" or "come here" or something.

You might be able to tell more after they settle down, say in 2 wk if you'll make a video that might tell something. If you see one mounts the other that one is the boy.

They are chatty sometimes because they are talking to each other, or to you (or about you!). Just like us, they'll be quiet and restful then they'll be noisy. They look very nice, they're pretty and from what you say they are in good shape! Enjoy them!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! They are both very cute.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Welcome to the wonderful world of society finches! Beware, you may end up with more than you originally meant to! I started out with two and now have 9, lol.

The females don't sing at all, but they chirp a ton. If you see a finch puff up his chest, start hopping forward, and start singing some warbly little notes, he's a boy! If it's just chirps, you have a girl :)

Sometimes my finches get really exited and riled up, and chirp like crazy, and sometimes they're super calm and quiet.

They're both pied society's, but one is chestnut and one is fawn. I haven't seen must difference in the chirps between the two mutations.

Are they from the same parents? If not, that's probably why they make different sounds, as finches learn their parents specific chirps and for the boys, songs. :smuggrin:

Hope this helps! You'll love your little goofs!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
They're both pied society's, but one is chestnut and one is fawn.
This is really good to know. I have not done anywhere near as much research on society finches as I have on Caiques or Eckies. Still lots to learn about these little cuties. Don't know their sex yet. Will probably get a DNA test done soon. I will also upload a video or sound clip tomorrow once they wake up. By now they are probably snoozing. Thanks again everyone!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
You finally took the plunge!!!!
:congrats5:
You're birds are adorable!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks everyone!

Took a video this morning when they woke up. You can really hear the difference now. The darker finch makes the three chirp type call whereas the lighter brown finch does a more standard meep meep. Any thoughts?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:p After you were sarcastic with me before?

Just kidding. No I really cannot tell. It's hard with societies.

I have a Gouldian finch that is gay. It's too bad, he is silver and I'd love to breed him. He fell in love with a blue male and they built nests together. I separated them and put the blue with a hen. Now the silver is with a different male. I give up.

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
:p After you were sarcastic with me before?

Just kidding. No I really cannot tell. It's hard with societies.

I have a Gouldian finch that is gay. It's too bad, he is silver and I'd love to breed him. He fell in love with a blue male and they built nests together. I separated them and put the blue with a hen. Now the silver is with a different male. I give up.
Yeah... I've found that peppermint is a wonderful incubator, though! I pair him with his "crush", and his "crushes" mate, and he's happy to help sit on the eggs and chicks. I have to be careful to keep the cage quite large with a lot of distractions, such as hanging plants, bell toys, etc. otherwise he gets jealous of the female, Teena, and will peck her. Who knew finches had love triangles? :lol:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Congratulations! They are very cute!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks, and don't worry saroj12, I have not given up my parrot aspirations. This is just a stepping stone. Needed to start small even if it means I need to wait awhile.

Who knew finches had love triangles?
Just after two days, I can already tell that they have so much to offer in personality. This is going to be fun.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks, and don't worry saroj12, I have not given up my parrot aspirations. This is just a stepping stone. Needed to start small even if it means I need to wait awhile.

Just after two days, I can already tell that they have so much to offer in personality. This is going to be fun.

I'm not worried! Enjoy these two cuties and see if you want bigger birds! Do they have names yet?