• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures first baby lovebird mangito

BossWizard97

Moving in
Hi everyone, today i bought my first ever baby lovebird. I have had budgies in the past but never anything like this little baby. he is very little! only a little over a month old and still eating baby formula.
I know some people disagree with them being sold so young but I am just happy I managed to find one that has been hand raised. The breeder told me alot of things but I want all the tips to know Im doing this right to have a healthy happy loving bird.
how long until i should start offering solid food? what kinds of solid food should he start out on? is it ok to socialize him now or should I wait some days? what can i expect as he grows older? when can i start training? at what point should i introduce my budgie? thank you guys so much im so excited and in love woth him. without further ado here are some pictures. IMG_20190827_200717.jpg IMG_20190827_200736.jpg IMG_20190827_201229.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My oh my, what a cutie!!! He really IS a little mango :lol:
Congratulations :starshower1:

how long until i should start offering solid food?

You can start now.

what kinds of solid food should he start out on?

Things like cooked veggies, mashed and allowed to cool to warm (becareful that the centre isn´t hot), soaked pellets, millet on the sprig. The chick will try new foods right after hand feeding. I liked to hand feed then lay back, have the chick on my chest with a chunk of millet to snack on. 2in1 ;)

is it ok to socialize him now or should I wait some days?

With yourself, yes. When he is comfortable, then introduce your family or whoever lives with you. Once comfortable you could try strangers (not all birds take to strangers though).

what can i expect as he grows older?

Is there something specific?

when can i start training?

You can start imprinting on him now, for example, put him on the table and arms length away, hold out the syringe and before he moves to you say ¨Mangito, come here¨ (or whatever you want your recall to be). As he weans, you can do the same with millet. As he learns to fly, keep doing it. When he´s older, mix up the treats to keep him coming.

at what point should i introduce my budgie?

Never.
The closest they should be is in separate cages placed next to each other but with a good 20cm gap between.

edit;
Your chick is feathered now and at least 5-6 weeks old, a cage is a good idea at this point, he will be flying before you know it :) You can set up a little snuggle bed in the corner with a stuffed toy (with no loose parts)

Last edited:

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
He’s adorable, congratulations!! I agree with @Zara 100% (per usual hehe) definitely get comfortable with the reality that it will never be safe to allow your lovebird access to your budgie.

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
What a little cutie pie!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's so cute!

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
There aren't many things as adorable as a baby lovebird! :heart::xflove:

Duel

Walking the driveway
About the baby formula and solid food, I recommend asking about that in the breeders boulevard since you can find people who raise birds from when they are newly hatchlings there just to make sure about what diet is good for him for now since he's very young.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
About the baby formula and solid food, I recommend asking about that in the breeders boulevard since you can find people who raise birds from when they are newly hatchlings there just to make sure about what diet is good for him for now since he's very young.

His diet is formula. There is no other diet for a chick. Much easier than understanding adult bird diet ;)

This bird is now at an age where he can try adult foods. It´s not diet per se, just, introducing new things to him and hoping he enjoys them.

Duel

Walking the driveway
His diet is formula. There is no other diet for a chick. Much easier than understanding adult bird diet ;)

This bird is now at an age where he can try adult foods. It´s not diet per se, just, introducing new things to him and hoping he enjoys them.
Oh didn't notice you already commented on this post. Well I guess you definitely know what should be done since you've had baby lovebirds before.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Congrats! He's adorable! :heart: I love lovebirds, but.... They're bullies to other birds. One of my Aoife's favorite hobbies is antagonizing my linnies. o_O I keep a close eye of course, but I love seeing the different personalities of the species even though it makes it difficult for me. Looking forward to seeing baby Mango grow up!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He's a cutie but I love those eyes

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
He’s so cute! Please give us lots of updates as he gets older.