• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finn the Severely Disabled Goldfish

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
So as I was browsing my local pet store a couple weeks ago, I came across this little guy sitting at the bottom of the fantail tank. Turns out he's extremely inbred and severely disabled, and the pet shop was going to euthanize him if no one bought him and he didn't improve by the end of the day. So, I took him in.

In terms of infection/illness, he's EXTREMELY healthy. I mean, I have never had a fish as healthy as him in that way, not even my well-bred goldfish have been so healthy. He is super disabled, though. He has a fused tail, a curved fin, such a small inner mouth that I have to feed him baby betta pellets and veggie slurry, a jaw that won't close all the way, NO LIPS, and a large divet in his chin.

Now, he's doing very well! He lives in my main goldfish tank (40 gallons), and is getting long with the others. And man, I love this little guy! He gives me so much hope, and is thriving in his new home! I hope he lives for many years to come.

CB9732F3-B0B4-49A4-9ADC-15F989309330.jpeg

How the 'divet' works in his mouth. The blue is his 'throat opening'. It does not stop him from breathing, but he will probably need a special slurry 3 times a day for the rest of his life. As you can see, it isn't a tumor, it's just part of his mouth.
Untitled53_20220403214316.png

Finny vid!!!

Last edited:

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
He's so cute. We had a goldfish that was also disabled. She swam like a drunken sailor all the time but she had such personality. She was always getting into trouble and was fun to watch. Enjoy your little guy.

A.K

Ahh so cuuuute!

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
He's so cute. We had a goldfish that was also disabled. She swam like a drunken sailor all the time but she had such personality. She was always getting into trouble and was fun to watch. Enjoy your little guy.
Oh my gosh, i can totally relate :lol:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I love goldfish and kept them for a while. So soothing to watch. He’s a cutie and lucky to have you!

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Horrible and sad news...

He passed away last week due to tail rot that quickly progressed into dropsy. His death was so, so sudden, and I'd do anything to have him back with me right now, swimming happily as he used to :sorrow:

Swim In Peace, Finn, I'll love you forever.

Lori:D

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zoe
The fact that you took the money and time to look after a disabled fish is just amazing. I feel like a lot of disabled animals are rejected and a large majority of people won’t realise their great personalities and natures. You did everything you could.
RIP Finn
:sad6:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Oh no! :sad4: I am so sorry, Ollie. You did your best to give him everything he could ever want.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
May he rest in peace, free & unfettered.
:fish::sorrow:

SunTruth

Sorry for your loss. You gave a good life to him and thank you for that.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I am so sorry for your loss. You gave him a good home. Unfortunately fin rot can come on fast and they are gone in the blink of an eye. We too have suffered the quick tragic loss.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
So sorry for you loss. He sounds like he was a wonderful pet.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I hope this video lifts your spirits. I feel so bad for goldfish. Often they do not get proper care and live much shorter lives than they should. That's so kind that you care for Finn.