• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Finn is plucking :-(

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
I am just beside myself! Our sweet little Finn appears to be plucking! At first I thought it was just a hard molt, but there's no denying it now. I can't figure out why he is doing it nothing has changed in his day-to-day routine. He's his usual happy, chirpy, whistling self. He's getting plenty of sleep, has lots of foraging and enrichment toys, and spends a good portion of his day out of his cage. For as many feathers as he's missing I never really catch him in the act. There are never any feathers in his sleep cage and I've only found a few in the bottom of his day cage. Where are they all going? I feed him all the good stuff - ZuPreem pellets, sensible seed as a treat, fresh fruit and vegetables. . .

I took him to the vet a couple of weeks ago and she wasn't overly concerned. She said it might be a one and done sort of thing. However it is getting worse. I'm really worried. IMG_1940.jpeg IMG_1938.jpeg IMG_1941.jpeg IMG_9706.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
I should add that he'll be 2 in June.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Is he out of his cage a lot? I haven’t had this problem so can’t chime in. My two are in 40” and are out 8-10 hours a day.

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Most days, he is out more than he is in.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t have a Caique, but do own a nearly completely naked CH Conure. Plucking has many potential causes, from what I’ve been reading. Have there been any major changes or additions to your home? Is he hormonal right now? He is two, and that seems prime time.

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
I don’t have a Caique, but do own a nearly completely naked CH Conure. Plucking has many potential causes, from what I’ve been reading. Have there been any major changes or additions to your home? Is he hormonal right now? He is two, and that seems prime time.
Hormones are something I have been wondering about as there haven't been any major changes in our household. If it is hormonal, how long will this behavior last and is there anything I can do to help him?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Does he only pluck while caged? Maybe he is bored. My caiques are given a regular supply of chewable totally destructible toys replaced almost daily. Thin pine and balsa are favorites

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oh you said he has plenty of enrichment. Nvm my previous post

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Does he only pluck while caged? Maybe he is bored. My caiques are given a regular supply of chewable totally destructible toys replaced almost daily. Thin pine and balsa are favorites
He has a lot of chew toys, but I'll try adding more. I have seen hime being fussy with his feathers (not necessarily plucking) when he is out as well.

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
I'm considering everything here. Just a thought. We moved into a new house in September. The boxes with the vents under the windows are radiators. Could this be the issue? I don't feel like the house is dry, but maybe it is. Also, before anyone raises the alarm about the windows -- these are brand new triple pane windows. There isn't an ounce of draft around them and Finn loves the view. It keeps him quite entertained!
IMG_9713.jpg

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I stopped my girl plucking ( I mean she was almost naked when I returned from London) She still plucks her legs a little but she is greatly improved

solution : change EVERYTHING

Her cage, her food her sleeping times, everything

That cage in the window would be rejected by all my 8. They love windows but prefer to hide in the shadows looking out. Your bird is far too exposed for my taste

Thats where Id start

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Your bird is far too exposed for my taste
When you say far too exposed what do you mean? Finn loves looking out the window. He never hides in the shadows If enjoys it and it's not drafty, why should I be concerned? Nevertheless, I did move him to another corner. He only has one window now. I moved him because I thought perhaps the 90ºs of radiators might be drying his skin out.

Camsan

Meeting neighbors
Maybe put a humidity gauge right on top of the shelf by where his cage sat to see what the humidity readings are. He is beautiful and I hope you can find out what may be causing it. :hug8:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he is coming into his breeding season, then try increasing his covered/night hours to 13 or 14 and see if that helps. It's been helping me grumpy conure, lol! I agree with checking the humidity level in your home, too. You can get an inexpensive hygrometer at the hardware store. I believe 40% or above is good for parrots.

Edited to add: I also give my Opie a dilute tea from Greywood Manor called Pretty Plume. I have no idea if it really helps, but it's herbal tea with no caffeine, so it can't hurt.

Last edited:

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
If he is coming into his breeding season, then try increasing his covered/night hours to 13 or 14 and see if that helps. It's been helping me grumpy conure, lol! I agree with checking the humidity level in your home, too. You can get an inexpensive hygrometer at the hardware store. I believe 40% or above is good for parrots.

Edited to add: I also give my Opie a dilute tea from Greywood Manor called Pretty Plume. I have no idea if it really helps, but it's herbal tea with no caffeine, so it can't hurt.
I'm going to agree with the cage placememt and the radiators must definitely be drying out the air. I think even above 60% is recommended for parrots. It is for African Grays anyway.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
When you say far too exposed what do you mean?
I have 8 caiques. I converted a double garage as an avairy. Opened up the roof with a perspex derivative to give them loads of daylight. They spent 90% of the time in the shadows round the edges of the room. They felt exposed. So I gave them lots of places to hide

This does not mean it will solve your birds plucking issue. But it will do no harm

The plucking issue is harder to solve than middle east land invasions.

Just change EVERYTHING. NOW!

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I gave Diva headspin from the changes I introduced. She is constantly asking WTH is going on. Greatly reduced plucking. I came back from London to find her buck nekkid from the head down.

Now she only picks at her legs, and that is improving.

Shes in the house in a portable cage, next day in the avairy with her mates, day 3 in the garden being spritzed with a lawn hose and shouting at wild birds, day 4 by my office desk begging for nuts, etc

Last edited:

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone:hug4:. I've moved Finn's cage into a corner and added a humidifier. It's one I already had on hand. I think warm mist is preferred, but this is a start. I wasn't sure about the placement of it so any suggests on that would be greatly appreciated too! I have some new cage accessories on order to switch things up a bit as well.
cage placment.jpg

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks good to me! Be careful with the warm mist humidifiers as some have Teflon coated heating elements.

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
Did your Vet check for mites ? Thats all I can think of in addition to the great advice you already got. Keep us posted