• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finding a good home for Daxter

Luna3391

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
Hello,

I have posted here in the past about my wonderful sun conure named Daxter. Unfortunately, due to huge life changes (long term relationship divorce) and growing health concerns (physical and mental) I am currently looking for a new home for her.

I love this bird, and have had her for years. But she was always super attached to my ex, who pretty much disappeared off the face of the planet after our separation. She did not take that well, and began feather destruction pretty soon after. Over the last year and a half I've been trying to work with my vet to help keep her healthy and happy, but I am working two jobs, and have had a number of health issues this past year. I am just not home enough for her, nor am I as financially stable as I used to be.

It hurts my heart, but my vet also agrees that it is probably the best decision. She looks a little rough right now, with thinning feathers. But the vet believes that if she were placed with someone who has experience with conures/other parrots, who had the time and energy to dedicate to her, she'd probably calm down on the feather destruction. Of course, nothing can be guaranteed, but he believes she's not past the point of no return, so to speak.

We discussed all of our other options, including medication, but I do not want to do this to her, and he agrees. She's loud and finger shy/slightly bitey, but she has such a wonderful personality. She likes people in general, and I've yet to find someone she hasn't been curious about. She's a shoulder lover, has never attacked my face or ears, and really is a very good bird.

I'm looking for advice, because I am not looking to hoist her off on the first person I find. I want to find her somewhere good, and maybe even with someone who would be willing to keep me up to date on her progress, because I do love her very much. I know to charge a rehome fee, and if possible do a home check. But any other advice would be appreciated.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry you have to rehome her. Some rescues do home to home adoptions. Meaning the rescue helps you find potential adopters but the bird stays with you and you select the adopter. That might be an option to look into.