• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Find the problem with this cage

aweb

Meeting neighbors
Hi there. I just put a deposit down for our new baby. Weaning estimated around end of February, beginning of March. Starting to get our home ready. Can you help me point to possible problems and reasons this cage wouldn't make a safe home for the lil guy?

I'm looking at the XL, livable cage space 36 high x 22 x 34 with bar spacing 0.75''

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It may be helpful to know what kind of bird you intend to house in this cage as that also makes a difference when choosing cages for birds.

I have a cage for my budgie that I was told by the store sales person was for birds like cockatoos and macaws (they said that because they think the cage is huge)..... I had to stifle my laughter as even a galah would be able to break the bars in this cage and the cage is way too small for a larger bird of any sort.
Cages are often designed differently for the different physical needs and strengths of small medium and large birds.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Wait - isn't this the Quaker section of AA? If not, excuse my ignorance. Baby is a pallid green Quaker.
Yes it is ;).... just wanted to make sure as many new members (and older ones lol) post threads all over the place on the forum :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
0.75 inch bar spacing is too large for a quaker

aweb

Meeting neighbors
0.75 inch bar spacing is too large for a quaker
I'm a bit confused by this, I'm reading conflicting information. On one hand, a conure and quaker are often put into the same size category. Some sources say quakers a tad bigger even. But conures bar spacing is recommended to be 5/8 to 3/4. So shouldn't 3/4 be ok for a slightly bigger quaker if it's just fine for a conure?
My 30-years-in-business bird speciality guy even tells me up to 1 inch is fine. Don't want to go that big though just in case. So what's optimal? Too small and it's dangerous too, right?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
If you can afford it, one of those big rectangular flights would give him a lot more room. I saw some reviews that had Grey's in it, but I wouldn't put a grey in it.

I can't look for it right now, but it's similar to this one in size, but has doors that latch. Maybe I found it on Amazon...

aweb

Meeting neighbors
If you can afford it, one of those big rectangular flights would give him a lot more room. I saw some reviews that had Grey's in it, but I wouldn't put a grey in it.

I can't look for it right now, but it's similar to this one in size, but has doors that latch. Maybe I found it on Amazon...
Bigger is better for sure. The one I linked to is actually a bit bigger, although 1-2 inches can't make a huge difference, can it? It's not as tall though, but it does
have feeder doors, which I've read here are a must have for Quakers. So the link I posted is the closest in dimension to the one you suggest (that I can find anyhow), with the addition of feeder doors. Thoughts?

I know everyone has answered this a thousand times. I'm reading everything I can find on AA, I promise. I'm not asking you to do my homework, just asking experienced folks for any immediate hazards they spot.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Jeez, I wasn't looking at the right one. I think you'll do fine, especially if you give him lots of out of cage time. I just know they're busy birds, and it's hard to get lots of enrichment into cages and still have room for flapping. (it's my current struggle, if you can't tell)

Also, it's hard to search sometimes, so don't be worried about posting your questions. I find good ideas in odd places all the time.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I just read some of the reviews from previous customers (I always do this when deciding on an item that is online) and I think that may help you identify any issues. There are more 5star reviews than 1star reviews but I always find the lower rated reviews to be helpful for things to look out for. I can’t personally see a safety issue if bar spacing is correct and doors are not sliders.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That looks like the Avian Adventures Mediana that my Quaker is living in now. I will say it is harder for him to climb than his old flight cage with 1/2" was

aweb

Meeting neighbors
That looks like the Avian Adventures Mediana that my Quaker is living in now. I will say it is harder for him to climb than his old flight cage with 1/2" was
Ok, so perhaps better for a mature bird then, rather than a growing one. Ok, back to the drawing board for smaller spacing, similar dimensions, and feeder doors. Sigh.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Ok, so perhaps better for a mature bird then, rather than a growing one. Ok, back to the drawing board for smaller spacing, similar dimensions, and feeder doors. Sigh.
Try a search on Amazon for yahee tech, and have a look through the similar section. I think that's how I found the one I'm thinking of.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Also, birdcages4less (I think that's right) has sales sometimes.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They learn though! :) i wouldn't rule it out completely!

I normally suggest flight cages but find outside feeder doors crucial for Quakers. This is one I've eyed over the years!

Kings makes excellent quality cages too with smaller bar spacing

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
They learn though! :) i wouldn't rule it out completely!

I normally suggest flight cages but find outside feeder doors crucial for Quakers. This is one I've eyed over the years!

Kings makes excellent quality cages too with smaller bar spacing
:lol: I choked a little laughing at the "Bird not included" under the picture!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The cage you are looking at should be fine! I think the biggest issue I'm seeing is that there's only food doors/dishes on one side. Not an actual issue by any means, but it is nice when the option is available to have them on both sides! I'm also not a fan of the play top or how the seed guards sit on the cage... but eh, I don't use seed guards anyway!!!

The You & Me 30x30 is also a good cage! I have heard of people receiving damaged pieces, but it's always been resolved through Petco.