• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finchy Xperiment

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So earlier tonight as I was cleaning up the kitchen I heard some unusual commotion emanating from the finchy household. Usually Charlie and Emma settle down for the night on the weekends (relative to my schedule) around the time I start wrapping up downstairs. They have a pretty regular schedule. Anyways, Emma for some reason was being quite active and giving me her usual signals that she wanted to come out of the cage so naturally, I let her come hang out with me (well, outside cage). Charlie on the other hand was not interested and stayed curled up in the corner in full cotton ball mode. As a result, I decided to take advantage of this unique opportunity to do an experiment with the two of them. Normally I never separate them for obvious reasons. Charlie is quite a bit more needy than Emma though. So with Emma up and about and Charlie fast asleep, I snuck Emma upstairs so she could have some personal space haha. The results were actually pretty surprising. Usually when I remove both of them from the cage and take them outside their comfort zone (incrementally), after a while they get bored and their attention turns to returning home. Emma by herself tonight was a trooper! She wasn't nervous, or upset at all. We went up to the office and she had a ton of fun on Lada's playstand. Then she fell asleep on my desk first, then shoulder. She is getting so brave too. She steps up 90% of the time and is no longer afraid of my hands at all. I'm still working on building her confidence and independence away from cage, hence this test, but overall she is doing so great!

To anyone out there that says you cant have as rewarding a relationship with finches (especially Society), you're just not being patient enough or willing to put in the extra effort required. Yes, they're tougher... Still worthwhile!

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi

Absolutely loved reading about Emma. How lovely that she snuggled up with you when tired.

My Charlie is a canary and he is always asleep before Sherbet. Sherbet is a hen.

Im wondering if females are just more outgoing...

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
any relationship is a two-way street.
I'm happy to hear how thing are working with Emma, it's always so thrilling and rewarding when it happens.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That’s great! :heart: Good to hear.

I tend to treat pairs as a pair and sometimes misss the individual quality time.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Im wondering if females are just more outgoing...
They've changed over the years. Charlie was the outgoing one at first but slowly was surpassed by Emma. I will have to give him a try sometime soon too. He may not be so happy to be away from her though. He's a needy little bugger.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Society finches have wonderful personalities if you earn their trust. All of mine are tame.