• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Finch with bumblefoot?

Diveks

Walking the driveway
So i got an older finch a few days ago and he is in quarantine right now. He is not using one of his legs much, I also see a growth, im not sure if this is bumble foot or something else. I don’t want to stress him out too much and catch him over and over again although i will if needed. How do I help this little guy out? I also do not have access to an avian vet unfortunately…
5A90CEC1-1DAC-4FC0-B552-8899D767EA14.jpeg
BCC0F668-7449-4127-8D88-4BEED78CDE58.jpeg

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Bumblefoot is a sore not a growth and is on the bottom of the foot where it touches the perch. This looks like a piece of poop or food the got stuck.
His nails are REALLY too long. You can trim them, being careful to avoid the quick (bloodvessel) Have a bright light available to help you see it and some quickstop or cornstarch in case you get too close. You don't even need to get anywhere close to the quick to make a vast improvemnet.
The nails are long enough that they could even be the cause of the foot trouble you see.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Bumblefoot is a sore not a growth and is on the bottom of the foot where it touches the perch. This looks like a piece of poop or food the got stuck.
His nails are REALLY too long. You can trim them, being careful to avoid the quick (bloodvessel) Have a bright light available to help you see it and some quickstop or cornstarch in case you get too close. You don't even need to get anywhere close to the quick to make a vast improvemnet.
The nails are long enough that they could even be the cause of the foot trouble you see.
i agree, i was planning to cut his nails either when treating his foot or before he goes in the aviary. If it's not bumblefoot, what would cause his limping then? he mostly tucks that foot in when standing and also won't fully put pressure on it.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
It could be so many things, we could never diagnose it this way. It could be anything from being injured when he was caught to transfer to you, to a testicular or kidney tumor that is pressing on the nerve to the foot as it grows. and lots of stuff in between.
I'd say catch him, check out the bump on his foot, have a camera handy to take pics. If the bump is indeed a foreign object, trim his nails and see if that improves the limp after a few days. Sometimes a drastic trim like that can make them uncomfortable a few days.
Remember when holding the bird, do not restrict his chest or breathing.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
It could be so many things, we could never diagnose it this way. It could be anything from being injured when he was caught to transfer to you, to a testicular or kidney tumor that is pressing on the nerve to the foot as it grows. and lots of stuff in between.
I'd say catch him, check out the bump on his foot, have a camera handy to take pics. If the bump is indeed a foreign object, trim his nails and see if that improves the limp after a few days. Sometimes a drastic trim like that can make them uncomfortable a few days.
Remember when holding the bird, do not restrict his chest or breathing.
Thanks I will, its pretty late at night though I think ill cut the nails first thing in the morning and ill also take some pics while im at it to not stress him out twice.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
So i got some pics this morning while trimming his nails, feet look really crusty, turns out the food looking thing might be a scab, it is about to fall off but it was protruding from a large bump.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What kind of perches does this little one have?

@finchly might have some advice or information to help you.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
What kind of perches does this little one have?

@finchly might have some advice or information to help you.
I use natural perches in the temporary cage with varying sizes, also have one straight perch. From the videos the breeder sent me, he also uses natural perches. The perches do not have any splinters.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am wondering if the bump on the foot (not the sore under it) is possibly an overgrowth of skin.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Hopefully now that the scab is almost gone, and with you trimming his nails he will perch and walk better.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Hopefully now that the scab is almost gone, and with you trimming his nails he will perch and walk better.
I think he might actually be be using the leg more, not totally sure though. I used some vaseline on the feet to soothe the dry skin and maybe help with the scab. I'm hoping the sore will die down soon.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I see bumblefoot and thickened skin, which could also cover infection. Please keep close watch on all of it.

Trim the nails if you haven’t already.

Wrap your perches in vet wrap so he can have some comfort. If possible, put paper towels on the bottom of the cage and change them often (this keeps them from tracking dirt onto the wrapped perches).

mix epsom salt in warm water and soak the feet up to 3 times daily.

This should resolve in a couple weeks, if there’s no infection.

I don’t advise using Vaseline.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
I see bumblefoot and thickened skin, which could also cover infection. Please keep close watch on all of it.

Trim the nails if you haven’t already.

Wrap your perches in vet wrap so he can have some comfort. If possible, put paper towels on the bottom of the cage and change them often (this keeps them from tracking dirt onto the wrapped perches).

mix epsom salt in warm water and soak the feet up to 3 times daily.

This should resolve in a couple weeks, if there’s no infection.

I don’t advise using Vaseline.
Thanks for the info, I will start doing that. I already cut his nails but the blood vessels are still pretty long so I’ll cut them again after the blood vessel goes back a bit from constant cutting. Also should I separate him from the female so i won’t have to stress her out too when treating & catching him. I feel bad for catching him over and over again each day but I guess it has to be done. Ill also stop using vaseline.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks for the info, I will start doing that. I already cut his nails but the blood vessels are still pretty long so I’ll cut them again after the blood vessel goes back a bit from constant cutting. Also should I separate him from the female so i won’t have to stress her out too when treating & catching him. I feel bad for catching him over and over again each day but I guess it has to be done. Ill also stop using vaseline.
I probably wouldn’t separate him but it’s totally up to you! They do get stressed so easily.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Diveks you have done so well with him! I hope his foot will heal well, and have no more problems. Do you have any secrets on catching him to treat him? My budgies are not tame except to sit on my finger for millet bribes.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
@Diveks you have done so well with him! I hope his foot will heal well, and have no more problems. Do you have any secrets on catching him to treat him? My budgies are not tame except to sit on my finger for millet bribes.
He is doing better now and is using the foot a lot more. I usually use a fish catching net to corral him to a corner so it’s easier for me to catch. Sometimes he would jump in the net which would make the process easier. This is also the way I catch the birds in the aviary.

do make sure the holes are not too big though, I use the fineones so they don’t get tangled up in the netting. Much less stressful for them than chasing them around for 30 minutes. I actually have accidentally taught them that they don’t need to be scared and fly away from me unless I have a net with me.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
He is doing better now and is using the foot a lot more. I usually use a fish catching net to corral him to a corner so it’s easier for me to catch. Sometimes he would jump in the net which would make the process easier. This is also the way I catch the birds in the aviary.

do make sure the holes are not too big though, I use the fineones so they don’t get tangled up in the netting. Much less stressful for them than chasing them around for 30 minutes. I actually have accidentally taught them that they don’t need to be scared and fly away from me unless I have a net with me.
Thanks Diveks, I am so glad he's doing better and using that sweet little foot!
Thanks for the tip on the net - I remember they used nets in the pet store to catch mine when I got them, and of course they were terrified, so I was hoping to avoid these, but... like you said, if it makes it less an ordeal, much better. I don't seem to have any luck in the cage trying to throw a piece of sheer curtain on them, so I guess I'll get a net and hope for the best! Hopefully I'll never have to use it, but we never know.