• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finch sickness

Vafaaa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vafa
Hi everyone. I am new here.
Need the help of anyone expert for advice .
I do take my pet birds to vet constantly but we have faced a blocked road.
One of my female zebra finches seems to have caught some sort of new castle disease and her head looks as if broken and lowered down. But she moves around and eata well.
The vet gave me some antibiotics and vitamins and advised to look after her till we see how it is since usual zebra finches don't catch this virus and there is basically no cure for it.
Another one of my finches again a female ....since months ago started shaking her wings so much all the time and the vets all said it is new castle too. For some time she lost the ability to use her feet completely but slowly she regained her control and is better but the shaking in her wings does not go away.
I could really use your help and advice regarding my two female finiches.
All your kind comments are appreciated

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya: .

I have only ever heard of birds being euthanized if they have the disease as it is highly contagious and non curable as far as I am aware. I believe they may give antibiotics to some pet birds to keep infections away but there is not a cure and the disease lives on in feces and also in the bird well after the bird has passed away.

What did your vet recommend after the antibiotic treatment? Do you have other birds also or just the two finches?

Vafaaa

Real Name
Vafa
I have other finches too. But they are in their own separate cages far from each other

Vafaaa

Real Name
Vafa
The vet only prescribed vitamins for them afterwards as he said we can only strengthen their immune system since there is no cure for this disease and the birds don't have all the symptoms of the exact disease

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The disease is highly contagious. Might be a good idea to totally separate the birds (like quite some distance and separate air supplies for them) and change your clothes and wash well between visiting infected birds and healthy birds. The disease is spread through droppings and any secretions from infected birds.

Vafaaa

Real Name
Vafa
Thanks for your advice. Surely will be extremely careful

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am sorry your birds got sick. I would follow your vets advice and keep them seperated. No sharing bowls, water or anything- 100% sterilize between interacting with them and your healthy birds. Do what you can to provide them happiness as they battle with this illness. It is very sad that there is no cure, but I applaud you for caring about them and loving them. Fingers crossed that you have it contained and it will not transmit to your other birds.