• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finch & Dove Enrichment Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
I presently have two diamond doves that I've had for perhaps a little less than a year, as well as two brand new (as in still being QT'd) zebra finches. Both have spacious cages with flying/perching room, a nest, some various nest material dispensers (suet feeders stuffed with shredded paper, sm animal hay balls filled with timothy hay and the finches have an additional toy that dispenses sissal threads), and foraging mats. But I still feel like their environments are... well... kindof boring. I'm used to coming up with creative foraging for my parrots, but I'm at something of a loss with these little guys. I know they aren't big chewers or climbers like birds, but do they like bells? Preening toys? Do they like checking out novel objects? Would they nibble on pet grass? Are there any other good ways to mimic natural behaviors or otherwise entertain them? Input appreciated. :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I know we have Roadies with fids like these, bumping this up :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I presently have two diamond doves that I've had for perhaps a little less than a year, as well as two brand new (as in still being QT'd) zebra finches. Both have spacious cages with flying/perching room, a nest, some various nest material dispensers (suet feeders stuffed with shredded paper, sm animal hay balls filled with timothy hay and the finches have an additional toy that dispenses sissal threads), and foraging mats. But I still feel like their environments are... well... kindof boring. I'm used to coming up with creative foraging for my parrots, but I'm at something of a loss with these little guys. I know they aren't big chewers or climbers like birds, but do they like bells? Preening toys? Do they like checking out novel objects? Would they nibble on pet grass? Are there any other good ways to mimic natural behaviors or otherwise entertain them? Input appreciated. :)

I also put shredded paper and timothy hay in the little cages. What I have found is the MOST enriching for my doves is the sand at the bottom of their aviary. they love to scrape and pick around in it. Maybe you can make them a little sand tray?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Small keet and cockatiel toys work great for finches, canaries and doves :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Careful with the sand....dont want them eating too much of it. My doves like the pet grass, and the tiny flowerettes of the broccoli heads. I sprinkle food on a a towel on the floor since they like to hunt and peck, as I call it. They dont really play, per say, but do seem to like it when I wiggle my fingers at them, they coo and pounce on my hand.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
My blue naped mousebird always has a dish of sand with a pinch of chinchilla dust{minerals}. He loves to take his sand bath and sand flies everywhere! Surprisingly birds you would not think, like finches and canaries, and even my mousebird do enjoy toys. I am just selective with what I give. Things that tinkle or jingle are a favorite. A dish of wet greens can be fun for birds like these. They like to bathe on them.

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
you can try real (birdsafe), and silk or plastic plants,i would maybe put a mister in there cage, try using a bark compond for a base (safe wood) as it can retain water with out geting moldy (be shure to chnge it often anyways)

Status
Not open for further replies.