• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finch (and Canary) Rollcall!!!

Peepers

Strolling the yard
Aw she is SO SO beautiful!!! I really wish that my finches would sit on my finger, but they are deathly afraid of human hands. Every time I put my hand in the cage to change food/water or clean the cage it is COMPLETE chaos. Just flap flap flap beep peep beep!
Thank you! She's very social and her favourite thing to do is to fly to my 11-year-old son's head over and over. haha
It's such a shame that zebra finches usually can't be tamed. They're so cute and I love the little squeaks they make.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Aw she is SO SO beautiful!!! I really wish that my finches would sit on my finger, but they are deathly afraid of human hands. Every time I put my hand in the cage to change food/water or clean the cage it is COMPLETE chaos. Just flap flap flap beep peep beep!
My zebras would sometimes perch on my hand to eat, other times they would freak out when I walk past them :dead:. They are among the flightiest finches that i’ve kept.

here are some pics of my finches, canaries, and also a softbill (bulbul)
(Don’t mind the round cage, previous owner gave the bird + the cage and I kept the cage in there so being in the aviary won’t be too scary)
B659E967-878F-49BC-A1ED-D1ADA80D1E27.jpeg D1CDF2D3-07D7-4529-AE39-DF08753B86B5.jpeg 1349DE95-FA1B-45B0-924D-202BC377C3FB.jpeg 107520B8-BF73-459D-970C-E08F73625E35.jpeg C14BEE71-2578-4EC1-8DD0-DA24D35F977C.jpeg 02952465-211C-4F02-A2AE-3614D92E34D3.jpeg

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
My zebras would sometimes perch on my hand to eat, other times they would freak out when I walk past them :dead:. They are among the flightiest finches that i’ve kept.

(Don’t mind the round cage, previous owner gave the bird + the cage and I kept the cage in there so being in the aviary won’t be too scary)
View attachment 417426 View attachment 417427 View attachment 417431 View attachment 417428 View attachment 417429 View attachment 417430
These photographs are so beautiful! I am in awe. Finches are such breathtaking creatures. I would love to have an aviary one day.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ok I made an attempt to photograph little Zippy as he was adorably taking a bath in his water dish. He was a fluffed little fluff of fluffness. But each time I got the shot he was dipping into the bowl for another splash! Needless to say this isn't a good photo. But hopefully you can appreciate the humour. I have about 20 images of similar dramatic dunks. A photo doesn't always tell a thousand words...the majority of the time he was preening and fluffing.
PXL_20221120_021939969.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh dear that should have said "a photo doesn't always say a thousand words!"

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
Ok I made an attempt to photograph little Zippy as he was adorably taking a bath in his water dish. He was a fluffed little fluff of fluffness. But each time I got the shot he was dipping into the bowl for another splash! Needless to say this isn't a good photo. But hopefully you can appreciate the humour. I have about 20 images of similar dramatic dunks. A photo forms always tell a thousand words...the majority of the time he was preening and fluffing.
View attachment 417486
Hahaha!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh dear that should have said "a photo doesn't always say a thousand words!"
Fixed it for you.

LOVE The pic of Zippy, he´s too adorable!!!! :faint:

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan

View attachment 417426 View attachment 417427 View attachment 417431 View attachment 417428 View attachment 417429 View attachment 417430
How do you like the bulbul? I had a couple if them but ive always found them so nervous, they would get all the other birds worked up as well.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
These photographs are so beautiful! I am in awe. Finches are such breathtaking creatures. I would love to have an aviary one day.
Thank you! They sure are breathtaking. One of the reasons i wanted to make an aviary is to be able to enjoy them more and take pics!

How do you like the bulbul? I had a couple if them but ive always found them so nervous, they would get all the other birds worked up as well.
Surprisingly the bulbul is the calmest bird in the aviary. Although might be because he was hand-raised by the previous owner though. He's the first one to check out new things, and usually just lounges around all day, he’ll also take pets from people.

Although, most of the other birds do fly away when he is landing somewhere just because of his larger size. Not exactly in a panicked kind of way though. Most nervous bird in the aviary would be the zebras.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is such an amazing cage! For Hanukkah (I don’t celebrate Christmas,) I am getting Will and Arlo a super big cage like the one your finches have!
Huzzah! That is an amazing Hanukkah idea :)

I have found they also enjoy little swings and a few toys. They like shredding toys (paper) or little wicker type toys. They also enjoy fresh greens. Green pea shoots are one of their favourite treats (Peppy even carries the pea shoots to the water bowl to dunk them before he eats them). I didn't realise how much finches like toys because I think their is a prejudice that only parrots interact with toys..and I shamefully believed that too. Last year one of their secret Santa's got them a little wicker toy and they interact with it often. I don't think they need as many toys are parrots, but they are definitely curious and smart little problem solvers who will interact with diverse things.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
They are so super cute I didn’t even realise you could let them out of their cages I would love some I might have to do some research :starscfe:

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
Huzzah! That is an amazing Hanukkah idea :)

I have found they also enjoy little swings and a few toys. They like shredding toys (paper) or little wicker type toys. They also enjoy fresh greens. Green pea shoots are one of their favourite treats (Peppy even carries the pea shoots to the water bowl to dunk them before he eats them). I didn't realise how much finches like toys because I think their is a prejudice that only parrots interact with toys..and I shamefully believed that too. Last year one of their secret Santa's got them a little wicker toy and they interact with it often. I don't think they need as many toys are parrots, but they are definitely curious and smart little problem solvers who will interact with diverse things.
Yes! My finches have a bunch of swings and toys. Their favorite are shredding toys and ones with little charms and bells to peck at. They also get chop every single day, they are spoiled haha. I’m very excited to give them a bigger cage, because the only part of their care that is lacking right now is cage size.

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
My only, now very lonely, 14 year old cordon bleu...Little Fly. His big "brother", my 40 year old Congo Grey Ignatius Quinten (IQ) flew off to Spirit 4-11-23. Sorry the pic is a little out of focus, but he's always got his dancing shoes on! :cbrcf:
IMG_20230429_171520130.jpg

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
My only, now very lonely, 14 year old cordon bleu...Little Fly. His big "brother", my 40 year old Congo Grey Ignatius Quinten (IQ) flew off to Spirit 4-11-23. Sorry the pic is a little out of focus, but he's always got his dancing shoes on! :cbrcf:
View attachment 433261
I love the little cordon bleus :heart: