• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I am proud to announce that I think Dexter has finally grown out of his nippy attack phase!! :dance4:

About a month ago I would get bit by him almost daily, usually him latching on which was never fun and I have some nice battle wounds from him.

We took a lot of time working on us being reasonable together. I tried many things and it seems the one that worked the best was me asking "step up?" and if he picked up his foot I would pick him up if not I would leave him alone.

I use to also have huge problems getting him to go back to his cage and finally he's being reasonable with that as well.

I don't think I'm 100% out of the woods since he's a greenie and they are just "opinionated" ;) but I'm really happy that I haven't been bitten by him in almost a month.

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
its always nice to NOT get bitten. :hehe: congrats on the progress. I am always excited when we manage to get over a behavioral 'hump'.
I'm currently dealing with my cockatoo being reluctant to step up and step down when requested. We have gone back to basics with small treats. I have started using two different ques based on the situation. If he has a choice about coming to me, i ask "wanna come to me?" if its a demand that i cant allow him to refuse like i HAVE to move him for his safety i use 'step up, please'. and the reverse for getting off me "wanna step off?" v/s "step down, please." not sure on the results yet, its too early to tell. :hehe:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wow..that is fabulous news..!!!

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Congrats!!! Josie and I haven't gotten to the non-biting phase yet... but we're taking strides. Maybe if I tell her about Dexter's progress she may get competitive! :laughing12:

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Congrats! and you've given me hope. Titus lives to bite me at the moment (he's really knows how to use that beak now!) and hates going to bed.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Dexter has still been doing good since I posted this. He's still a little grumpy in the mornings but I just try to watch for the signs so I don't get chomped on lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.