• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally!

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Many bonded pairs never produce offspring. This is a worry to many but in actuality it can be discouraged so that it is not an issue. Introducing a young female to your little male should not really present any problems. You are putting a very young female in the cage occupied by your male. She should adapt to him quickly and any mating behavoir is at least 1 year away but you can discourage it then by making sure there are no nesting places, ensuring they get 12-14 hrs darkness and watching their behavoir. As long as the female is flighted and has a diet rich in calcium it will help protect against egg binding but this should not be a worry now, and possibly never. Please do not reject this poor little girl just because she is female. Little females can be the most wonderful of pets. I know, I have had several...lol.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I would never dream of rejecting her! I love her already.

She is certainly fully flighted and only eating seed so far, but it is only day 3. I'll just have some learning to do!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
So sorry didn't mean to insinuate that you would. Of course you love her, little hens are feisty and curious. There are quite a few members here that have bonded pairs that have never produced offspring and I understand your fear but you have no worries at least in the next year. I had a little hen that succumbed to egg binding years ago but she was a solitary hen (for some reason they can be chronic egg layers) and it haunts me still. Now that I know so much more now thanks to forums like this I truly believe that I could have avoided that. Don't worry so much that she is just eating seed, what is your little boy eating? She will follow his lead once they are introduced.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Oh not offended!!

Flynn is a seed lover too, but he also has "budgie crumble" and he loves all of his veggies. I'm sure she will copy him eventually

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Oh, she will...lol. As much as I don't like to make generalizations with hens, I will say that if your boy is eating it then she will need to at least try it and if he is enjoying it then she will need to eat as much of it as possible...lol. Little hens rule the roost.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
She tried her broccoli today, yay! She's a sweet little bird and seems to enjoy me talking to her. The quarantine thing is a lot harder than I realised, they both are constantly calling out to one another. Flynn knows something is up and is really clingy too.

Dorcas George

Congratulations! What a pretty bird! I hope all goes well. Hooray for eating broccoli! I've been trying for six months to get my little Packer, the yellow and green guy in the pic, to eat anything but seed. No success whatevet, which worries me. So good for your two birdies.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
She is still doing well, but hasn't touched the broccoli again, it was a one off thing to trick me. Little Charli is very sweet but still sizing me up. She flew to me just that once on the first day- not sure why, she's very skittish now but will happily eat from my hand. She loves being talked to.The quarantine is driving everyone crazy these budgies are contact calling all the time and Flynn is beside himself. I can't wait to introduce them!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please do not reject this poor little girl just because she is female. Little females can be the most wonderful of pets. I know, I have had several...lol.

Please listen to this advice. It is excellent. Also I suggest you remove toys that are hanging by a chain. Chains can be dangerous because a little foot or toe can easily get caught. You can hang toys with other things beside chains. Good luck with your pretty new budgie lady.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I will share!

It's funny, I have to admit I fell off the bandwagon with making sure everything is budgie safe, because Flynn is a bit of a velcro budgie- he is happy to hang out with me quite a lot of the time and it's impossible to lose track of him because he is quite the attention seeking little comedian. In fact, if he feels like I'm not watching his antics he sometimes even comes and knocks on my glasses! He constantly amazes me with how good his social and communication skills are- he is so good at getting very clear messages across!

On the other gand, Charlie enjoys a chat but she is a bit more of an explorer and likes to investigate! I've lost her in a tissue box and a pencil case, she is quite the stealthy ninja and goes dead quiet when she's exploring (the only time she's quiet). I'd forgotten some budgies like to get into things!

It's amazing how intelligent such small birds are, and with massive personalities!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Awwwww Stacie @Miss_sj Your new budgie is gorgeous... and yep, I think she is a she too from the photos. YES, I know how hard quarantine is - try to be patient okay? (ha, patience is not one of my virtues), but I try really hard!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
So they've met and all went well. I'm tentatively optimistic. They seemed to like each other and chirped back and forth a few times, and then Flynn fed her. They did a few laps together and came to hang out with me too! Both budgies are in their respective cages having their sleep. We'll have another play date tomorrow :)

I don't know if its a hen thing but Charlie has serious attitude, too!

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Oh they look so good together, and both recessive pieds to boot.

Dorcas George

I missed a few of the updates. Glad the introductions went well. I'm jealous and WISH my two birds would harass me instead of both being a bit standoffish. They are SO PRETTY! Hooray for great beginnings.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I missed a few of the updates. Glad the introductions went well. I'm jealous and WISH my two birds would harass me instead of both being a bit standoffish. They are SO PRETTY! Hooray for great beginnings.
Haha! I don't mind being harrassed at all, although Charlie did manage to take my earring out today. They still have their seperate cages, but have plays in both cages together (I just leave them open when they are out and they just go in together). They eat out of the same food dish together which is super cute, and so I've bought a bigger one for them.
Flynn loves to perch on feet, and he's bringing Charlie along now! He can say "Hello Charlie" which is so sweet!

Attachments