• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally ready to bring more parrots into my life!

Jael

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! I am Jael, a freelance painter and writer who works from home in central Ohio! New here, though not to parrot companionship. I used to work with many species, hand raising as well as doing behavioral training a rehabilitation for birds that were abandoned or mistreated. Later went on to work as a zookeeper on contract for a year, which was a joy! Never had the opportunity of working with birds of prey prior and it was so rewarding and such an amazing experience. Unfortunately, my life went through many changes after fleeing an abusive situation and having to find homes for my precious flock. While I raised and worked with many species, I had a few quakers and alexandrines that were my own.

It has taken me a long time to get to the point that I feel safe bringing parrots back into my life. I miss them so much, but having to rehome my old babies due to a horrible situation that was beyond my control made me so nervous to start again. It was the last thing I ever wanted for my animals, even if it was the right decision at the time. Finally though, after being remarried now for nearly 10 years, in a large new home we bought this last year, I finally feel I have the stability and comfort to bring parrots back into my life!

I just brought home a crimson bellied conure baby I have named Churro and looking to adopt a caique, or some quakers soon as well. My ultimate goal is to finally, one day, have one of my favorites I came to love when working with parrots. I want either a severe macaw or a green wing. Both are birds I heavily connected with and I deeply fell in love their their demeanors.

So happy to be here! Hoping to get to know other parrot owners, learn some things and help others where I can. :)

Attachments

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue.
I enjoyed reading your post and I am so glad for you that you are starting to bring birds back into your life.
Love your picture. :heart2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA! Your little one is so adorable and I love his name.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Welcome, Jael and Churro!

:welave:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I don't know how far from you it is but Parrot Hope is a good rescue located in Ohio when you're ready for more birds.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hello welcome congratulations !
Id take it slow adding new ones. If your spouse hasn't lived with parrots....they may not enjoy it. Parrots can lead to significant friction in relationships.

Caique often do not play well with other species . Quakers you've had and the noise can drive people nuts.

But you have lots of experience! I hope you can help many of the rehome parrots in need!

Im so glad you are in a happy place now. Looking forward to your new adventures.

Reactions: tka

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome to you and Churro!! :hello1:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomegroup: Your birdie is so cute :heart:

Jael

Welcome to the forum! I don't know how far from you it is but Parrot Hope is a good rescue located in Ohio when you're ready for more birds.
Definitely heard of it! Also have the Charlie Brown rescue fairly close to where I live, so looking at fostering with them and eventually adopting as well. :)

Jael

Hello welcome congratulations !
Id take it slow adding new ones. If your spouse hasn't lived with parrots....they may not enjoy it. Parrots can lead to significant friction in relationships.

Caique often do not play well with other species . Quakers you've had and the noise can drive people nuts.

But you have lots of experience! I hope you can help many of the rehome parrots in need!

Im so glad you are in a happy place now. Looking forward to your new adventures.
I have actually been preparing my husband for a while. Took him to a few rescues local and a small owned bird store that is run by breeders, as well as a friend's that has parrots. I wanted to make sure he was comfortable with handling with my guidance, larger parrots, but also that he could get a taste of the noise. Thankfully, we have a quite large space where his office is away from the action. He'll certainly still hear the flock when they have their noisy moments, but definitely perparing him ahead of time for what to expect. :)

I know caiques don't often get along with other species. Not entirely sure if a caique is one if the species we will end up with yet (which much rather rescue if I can to give a parrot in bed a good home), but if I do, I have enough space that they can easily have a room to themselves when they are not out, which will be nice.

Thanks for the welcome! Excited to be here.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road