• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally reached featherhood

Spudpig

Moving in
Hello! My name is Ryly, I'm 23 and I've been reading the forums on this and many other similar sites for the last 9-10 years. I got my little gcc in May and thought I'd share how I finally obtained my little parrot friend.

When I was in 4th grade I went to a big name pet store with my mom and shortly into the errand I met a sun conure. I watched the bird while my mom finished shopping and left with a care sheet. That was the day I decided I would get a bird. My family had multiple animals growing up and I personally had pets rats and a cat. I was never allowed to get a bird though I don't blame them for telling me no considering I was the oldest of 4 children in a house with animals that wouldn't hesitate to kill a bird.
I met a boy and moved out but guess who didn't like birds haha. We dabbled in snake ownership, my idea but it wasn't the best idea and I seem to have a sign over my head that says "bite me". We got a dog, rats, a hedgehog and a trio of ferrets. Years fly by we get married, ferrets passed away, rats passed aways, got a second dog and bought a trailer (We intend on moving and a house feels more permanent.)

A year has gone by since getting our home last march and it was about time I start pestering for a bird again. I hit the local ads and find a women who is not a breeder but does train parrots and just so happens to have finished hand feeding some little conures. Green is my favorite color and I had already chosen a green cheek so it seemed like a perfect opportunity. I show my husband more videos of conures and after some intense debating I get the green light! I made the 4 hr round trip drive and picked up Sir. E (was Siri but DNA sexed as male) from a wonderful parrot lover who was very knowledgeable and the ideal person for a noob to get a parrot from.
I brought Sir. E home on May 9th and since day one he has been everything I had imagined. He is not perfect but he is everything I wanted. We sing Tiki tiki room every night before bed, nipping has improved by 70% and my husband loves him. I enjoy teaching him tricks and have adjusted to the idea that I might not be able to shower alone again. We watch the movies Rio and Paulie on weekends and Sir. E sings along. I thought having a parrot would've been harder then it has been and I think I really lucked out with getting a great bird. Well there is my story, I'm glad I was able to share it. I'm off to pick up more supplies for Sir. E's outside enclosure that will hopefully be ready by next summer :) 13528757_1636222263370711_8289169545037686340_n.jpg

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:welcome2: GCC are really amazing little birds :heart:

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
That's a great story and probably the longest wait I've ever heard of from discovery to finally getting your fist bird. They are awesome little companions. A pain in the butt at times and quite messy but still there is nothing quite like a parrot friend.

Congrats on your adoreable Sir E and I love the twist on the name :heart:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Welcome! GCC's are the best!

Spudpig

Moving in
Thanks guys! I feel a bit lucky I had to wait so long, if I had gotten one sooner I never would've met Sir. E. I am truly amazed with these animals.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Birds are special.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Welcome to AA!:welcome2:

Your cheekie is such a handsome little guy, I wish you many wonderful years with him! They really are such great birds, so much personality.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Sir E!

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Hi!
What a cutie!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hello! My name is Ryly, I'm 23 and I've been reading the forums on this and many other similar sites for the last 9-10 years. I got my little gcc in May and thought I'd share how I finally obtained my little parrot friend.

When I was in 4th grade I went to a big name pet store with my mom and shortly into the errand I met a sun conure. I watched the bird while my mom finished shopping and left with a care sheet. That was the day I decided I would get a bird. My family had multiple animals growing up and I personally had pets rats and a cat. I was never allowed to get a bird though I don't blame them for telling me no considering I was the oldest of 4 children in a house with animals that wouldn't hesitate to kill a bird.
I met a boy and moved out but guess who didn't like birds haha. We dabbled in snake ownership, my idea but it wasn't the best idea and I seem to have a sign over my head that says "bite me". We got a dog, rats, a hedgehog and a trio of ferrets. Years fly by we get married, ferrets passed away, rats passed aways, got a second dog and bought a trailer (We intend on moving and a house feels more permanent.)

A year has gone by since getting our home last march and it was about time I start pestering for a bird again. I hit the local ads and find a women who is not a breeder but does train parrots and just so happens to have finished hand feeding some little conures. Green is my favorite color and I had already chosen a green cheek so it seemed like a perfect opportunity. I show my husband more videos of conures and after some intense debating I get the green light! I made the 4 hr round trip drive and picked up Sir. E (was Siri but DNA sexed as male) from a wonderful parrot lover who was very knowledgeable and the ideal person for a noob to get a parrot from.
I brought Sir. E home on May 9th and since day one he has been everything I had imagined. He is not perfect but he is everything I wanted. We sing Tiki tiki room every night before bed, nipping has improved by 70% and my husband loves him. I enjoy teaching him tricks and have adjusted to the idea that I might not be able to shower alone again. We watch the movies Rio and Paulie on weekends and Sir. E sings along. I thought having a parrot would've been harder then it has been and I think I really lucked out with getting a great bird. Well there is my story, I'm glad I was able to share it. I'm off to pick up more supplies for Sir. E's outside enclosure that will hopefully be ready by next summer :) View attachment 230988
In Brazilian Portuguese, a siri is a type of crab and according to Wikipedia in Portuguese it's called a "swimming crab" in the U.S. from the genus Callinectes - Callinectes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Siri – Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre

And, where are my manners? Welcome to AA! You're fid is beautiful but I have to say I'm a very biased gcc mom.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Last edited:

Loppy

Real Name
Jen
Welcome to AA, Ryly! And welcome, Sir E.! One of my god-fids is a GCC and I adore him to bits. Sir E is adorable, and I can't wait to hear more about him.

Also, PICTURES!!! WE LOVE PICTURES!!!! *ahem.*

dts

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
damaris
What a wonderful story. I'm the proud mommy of a BCC
:welcomesign:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month